 Model Team / 967
Re: My site is down :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 04:04:18 GMT

Purple Dave <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote:
    Actually, I am.  I pulled both of the characters from the Times New
Roman (a universally accepted "standard" font) character map.  If you can't
see it, you must not be using a standardized font.  I know that some fonts

The font (i.e. the shapes of Times New Roman) is fine. It's the character
encoding -- which in this case is neither standard nor universal. The
problem here is Microsoft -- it's one of their not-so-subtle attempts to
subvert the Internet. (I'm serious.)

See <http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/>.

Your post claims (in its headers) to be in the (real) standard iso-8859-1
charset. It happens that there is no superscript-TM symbol in this standard.
It is available in standard ways by using UTF-8, which neither of us are
right now. See <http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/lynx-dev/9609/0069.html>.

If your post claimed to be some other character encoding, even a
Microsoft-specific pseudostandard, there wouldn't be this problem. Software
could be written to recognize the eccentricity and cope with it easily. The
brokenness is that it's claiming to follow a standard that it isn't, and
there's no good way to detect that.

    Actually, we're both wrong.  Let me quote the LEGO Trademark Usage
section of the 2002 Brand Book (given out at Toy Fair):

I'm not basing this on Lego's statements, but on the info from the US Patent
and Trademark Office:

  Are there federal regulations governing the use of the designations "TM" or
  "SM" with trademarks?

  No. Use of the symbols "TM" or "SM" (for trademark and service mark,
  respectively) may, however, be governed by local, state, or foreign laws and
  the laws of the pertinent jurisdiction must be consulted. These designations
  usually indicate that a party claims rights in the mark and are often used
  before a federal registration is issued.

  When is it proper to use the federal registration symbol (the letter R
  enclosed within a circle -- ® -- with the mark.

  The federal registration symbol may be used once the mark is actually
  registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Even though an
  application is pending, the registration symbol may not be used before the
  mark has actually become registered. The federal registration symbol
  should only be used on goods or services that are the subject of the
  federal trademark registration. [Note: Several foreign countries use the
  letter R enclosed within a circle to indicate that a mark is registered in
  that country. Use of the symbol by the holder of a foreign registration
  may be proper.]

<http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/tmfaq.htm#Basic007>

[ -> .off-topic.geek ]

--