 Model Team / 961
Re: My site is down :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 17:37:03 GMT

Purple Dave <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote:
Disney makes a point of keeping The Mouse active in their multitude of
logos).  Furthermore, TLC has an internationally recognized trademark,
rather than a locally recognized trademark.  When they use "®", it means the
trademark is recognized worldwide.  When they use "™" it means that the
registration is pending, or not recognized in all countries.  This is why

You're not using a standard character in the second case there, so I can't
tell what you mean exactly, but I'm assuming you mean TM.

The distinction isn't actually the one you're making; the full r-in-a-circle
symbol means that the trademark is registered in the US. It may mean a
similar thing in other countries. However, you don't have to register a
trademark for it to be valid -- you just have to use it in trade. The TM
symbol is a way of explicitly claiming that a given mark is specifically a
trademark. You'll also see SM for service mark.

TECHNIC™ recently changed to TECHNIC®.  Copyrights apply to inventions,
creations, artwork, and other similar things.  Trademarks apply to the

Copyrights don't apply to inventions -- that's patents are for.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>