 Technic / 10381
Re: My site is down :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 18:03:51 GMT

In lugnet.modelteam, David Laswell writes:
In lugnet.modelteam, David Eaton writes:
Legally, Lego can't necessarily stop someone else from getting the domain
"ThisSiteIsSponsoredByLego.com".

    Yes they can.

Oh? By means of a court case, sure, but can they legally stop you before you
even register the name? IE is there some sort of law in place to proactively
prevent me from squatting a trademarked named site? I mean, sure, once Lego
finds out about it, they can take you right to court (and would probably do
so and win in a heartbeat), but until they take legal action to protect
their name, you can get whatever domain you want, unless I'm mistaken.

However, in some countries (US at least, I assume many others), Lego has a >copyright to their name.

    They don't hold a copyright to their name.  It is a registered
trademark, which is a different situation altogether.

Quite true-- but hopefully you get the jist of what I meant dispite my
mispeaking.

So they could take it to court and potentially find you in violation of
their copyright, forcing you to shut the site down.

    Not quite.  They can force you to surrender the domain name, but they
can't force you to shut the website down.  You're allowed to register a new
domain name for that website if you want.  And if you can still afford to.

Well, right-- they shut down the domain. Site content can go anywhere it
wants elsewhere; provided that the content itself isn't found to be in
further violation of court orders.

But if your site is something like "PutYourLegOn.com" or
"WhenAleGoesBad.com" or "FullEgo.com", and *especially* if your site content
has nothing to do with Lego, chances are a court would determine that you
hadn't violated Lego's copyright and would allow you to keep the domain.

    If the word is hidden amongst the letters, then no, they can't touch
the website unless you do something stupid to make it obvious that you're
trying to sneak through a loophole (like if you advertise your website as
"whenaLEGOesbad.com").

Exactly. They can *try* and make it a case if they want, but chances are
they won't win unless the court agrees that you were just trying to be sneaky.

What really matters is if there is
an obvious non-LEGO justification for having those four letters in your
domain name.

Precicely the point-- it's up to a court to decide whether or not such a
thing is "obvious" or not. There's no hard-and-fast rules about it of which
I'm aware.

If your last name was Lego, and you had decided to make a
website to detail your family tree, and you had registered the Lego.com
domain name _before_ TLC got ahold of it, you could not legally be forced to
surrender the domain name because your last name would give you just as much
legal claim to use that domain name for non-LEGO purposes as TLC had for
using it for LEGO purposes.

Although, let's say I had my heart set on "DaveLego.com" and changed my last
name to "Lego" just to get around the trademark. And used the site for
various hobbies of mine, including Lego. Walks closer to that 'fine line'...

In any event, Lego's fair play document just asks you to be considerate, and
think ahead. And for most Lego fans, that's enough.

    One would think so.  It's not though.

Right-- for *MOST* Lego fans, it's enough. Not *all* by any means, but most.
And that's why it's there. So they can attempt to get word out (about as
best as they can) to any who will heed their wishes. Some people don't get
that far and are oblivious to the restrictions, some are perfectly aware and
still find it annoying to no end that they can't do as they please and fight
tooth and nail. But most people seem to get it. And if they're the unaware
type and are in violation, chances are someone will point it out to them
(especially considering the increasing online Lego fan population)

DaveE