 Storage / 131
    Bucket surgery —Scott Smallbeck
   I have always hated the bar inside the LEGO bucket that the handle is attached to so today I decided to do something about it. I started ripping off the handles and what do you know, it works great. I now have a nice stack of buckets that are not (...) (26 years ago, 2-Nov-98, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Bucket surgery —Tom McDonald
   (...) <snip> (...) Actually, this topic came up on rec.toys.lego a few months ago. I don't like the bar much either, as it grabs pieces when I want to hastily evacuate a bucket. I guess the only downside, no biggie, is that the handle won't (...) (26 years ago, 2-Nov-98, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Bucket surgery —Scott Smallbeck
     (...) Yes, but the huge upside is that you can stack them inside of each other. _ _ Scott Smallbeck materiel@halcyon.com (26 years ago, 2-Nov-98, to lugnet.storage)

         Re: Bucket surgery —Tom McDonald
      (...) Yep. Handy when living in an apartment, like I do. I consider it worth losing the handle, as I only ever really use the handle when I bring buckets home from the store, and I'm not in the habit of taking my lego to some other location. -Tom (...) (26 years ago, 4-Nov-98, to lugnet.storage)

         Re: Bucket surgery —Richard Dee
     Yes, which was why I had asked on RTL about removing the bars...... I wanted to buy a few silver buckets on a visit to the US, and keep the buckets, rather than throwing them out, thinking that they are great storage containers! I managed to squeeze (...) (26 years ago, 5-Nov-98, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Bucket surgery —Steve Bliss
   (...) Could you cut off the end-sections from the bar, and use those to reattach the handle? Seems like too much work for me. I'd just leave the handles off. But it should work. Steve (26 years ago, 2-Nov-98, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Bucket surgery —Robert Farver
   (...) Actually, yes you can. Larry Pieniazek brought this up. He mentioned that the hardest part was getting the handles off without breaking them. I tried his method and it worked great. Then I found if you have a good serrated knife (and don't (...) (26 years ago, 3-Nov-98, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Bucket surgery —Tom McDonald
   (...) Oh yeah, I remember that now back on RTL. I want to try and use a hacksaw though. -Tom McD. tfn, radiotitan@yahoo.com (26 years ago, 4-Nov-98, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Bucket surgery —Scott Smallbeck
     (...) I took another look at the buckets last night and I've decided not to spend the extra enegry in cutting out the bars, it only takes a second to rip off the handle and crossbar but it looks like it would take several minutes per bucket to saw (...) (26 years ago, 4-Nov-98, to lugnet.storage)

         Re: Bucket surgery —Robert Farver
     (...) With the hacksaw method, where you have to pull the crossbar out, yes. With my method of cutting the bar out while it is the bucket, no. It took me less than 30 seconds to turn my orange bucket into a trick or treat bucket for the kids. Rob (...) (26 years ago, 5-Nov-98, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Bucket surgery —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) I bet an ATLAS saw would work great for that, it's designed to cut plastic quickly without gumming up the saw teeth. I dunno if ATLAS still makes them but I have a 20+ year old one rattling around somewhere... (URL) I just dug around.. Grr, I (...) (26 years ago, 4-Nov-98, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Bucket surgery —Tom McDonald
   (...) I didn't bother to look since you didn't find it. What does such a saw look like? I bet a bolt cutter would do it. Overkill, but fast... -Tom McD. tfn, radiotitan@yahoo.com (26 years ago, 4-Nov-98, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Bucket surgery —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Very thin blade with small teeth. Large undulation in the teeth, and in the blade itself so that the teeth stay clean (and the blade doesn't jam in the cut, as the cut is significantly wider than the blade). Blade is mounted from the top in a (...) (26 years ago, 6-Nov-98, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Bucket surgery —Robert Wallace
    (...) A Dremel-type moto-tool works wonders... Robert Wallace robertw@netcom.com (26 years ago, 1-Jan-99, to lugnet.storage)