 Star Wars / 9731
  Re: Star Wars ruminations (was: Reality == fiction?)

(...) I didn't think I said that. I thought I said that the cartoon violence aimed at JJB was sort of a pleasant thing in fantasy sort of way -- in the way that allows you to pretend that JJB won't return for Episode II. I certainly don't wish to (...) (24 years ago, 5-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Star Wars ruminations (was: Reality == fiction?)

(...) I liked the battle droids, shows how stupid robots can be (and are sometimes). (...) Yeah, Lucas was drinking quite heavily then... (...) Don't forget, all Naboo star craft represents royalty and beauty, so they will have none of that (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Star Wars ruminations (was: Reality == fiction?)

(...) The dumbest thing about them for me was that their Trade Federation masters had to appear via holo-radio (or whatever) to give them orders. Duh! And the roger-roger guff was silly, but I actually thought it was a fairly good way of throwing in (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Star Wars ruminations (was: Reality == fiction?)

(...) I think that the movie was also degraded by the "super-powers" of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Lucas would put his characters in a particularly tight spot, and then have then overcome the situation by an introduction of incredible abilities. Ex: (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Star Wars ruminations (was: Reality == fiction?)

Just to throw my two cents into the fray... While I agree the running away was a lousy special effect, I think I understand where GL was coming from with the super power effects. As I've gleaned from the various bits of written fiction, there were (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Star Wars ruminations (was: Reality == fiction?)

(...) Or maybe just reaching down and cutting his hands off, eh? ~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Star Wars ruminations (was: Reality == fiction?)

(...) Before the movie came out, people were asking all kinds of things about what the Jedi would be doing. Would there be a Lightsaber duel? Would there be force powers? Etc, etc. Lucas basically answered their questions by saying that what we saw (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Star Wars ruminations (was: Reality == fiction?)

(...) I have to disagree with this. I have always thought that in the original trilogy, the Jedi didn't make enough use of their powers. Jedi are supposed to be able to do most anything and yet they barely use their powers. I think the main reason (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Star Wars ruminations (was: Reality == fiction?)

(...) They did. At least, I know Maul did. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gonn did similar things at other points in the movies (mostly pushing around Droids). I think, though, that most of their attunement to the Force during that fight was probably concentrating (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Star Wars ruminations (was: Reality == fiction?)

(...) then (...) While the technology in Games is usually junk most of the Star Wars games Story's fit perfectly into the cannon material. So in Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight (DF2JK) the main character has: (...) as (...) Force Speed (...) Force Jump (...) (24 years ago, 7-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)