 Star Wars / 6366
Re: Vehicle year/building year? (Was: Imperial Guards (was: Re: Sir Steve interviews someone from Lego)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:39:19 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, John D. Forinash writes:
In article <FqICG1.6E8@lugnet.com>, Jason Catena <catena@xnet.com> wrote:
It's true enough as an observation, since the static architecture (buildings
and the like) has been very minimal in the Star Wars sets to date. I would
guess, though, that children's primary interest (the sets the company wanted to
get out first) were the ones that went "whoosh" when you flew them around the
room. The company probably wanted to attract as much attention as possible to
the line by allowing space battles with your friends, dodging the giant
underwater beastie, etc.

Exactly. It's that, and one other thing:

How many movies do you see the Millenium Falcon in? X-Wing fighters?
TIE fighters?

How many movies do you see the base at Yavin 4 in? And at that, how many
scenes bother to show it? The action was on the space ships, not the
locations. Was the Hoth base worth modelling? Or was it just a place
for C-3PO to whine about Master Luke's chances and Artoo's pitiful
scanner range? Do we really _want_ a Jabba's palace built of 2x1x5
column pieces with neat swively bits like a crane and laser turret from
a Rock Raiders set?

That being said, I suspect we'll see that sort of thing soon enough.
I would bet that as soon as Lego's willing to do Ewok minifigs, we'll
see a forest base to blow up again and again.

While it would be really cool to get a Mos Eisley Cantina set for all
the cool minifigs, does anyone really think it would sell to anyone
who's not an AFOL or collector? Sure, a set with the bounty hunters
would be cool, but how can you do that without building a set that's
the deck of a star destroyer... a most positively boring place.

Until then... hmmm. I'd been wondering what to do with all those white
bricks, maybe I'll build a Hoth base. :)

Excellent points...especially about Jabba's palace. I for one don't want Lego to
produce anything that relies on juniorized pieces.  I'd rather not have (see)
any set that will leave me sour over its poor construction, design, parts
selection, etc, etc.