 Star Wars / 6347
Re: Vehicle year/building year? (Was: Imperial Guards (was: Re: Sir Steve interviews someone from Lego)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 23:11:21 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jason Catena writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Mike Petrucelli writes:
[snip]
(under TLG/C's idiotic idea of only making SW vehicles,)
[snip]

Is this an observation or a quote?

Merely an observation

It's true enough as an observation, since the static architecture (buildings
and the like) has been very minimal in the Star Wars sets to date. I would
guess, though, that children's primary interest (the sets the company wanted • to
get out first) were the ones that went "whoosh" when you flew them around the
room. The company probably wanted to attract as much attention as possible to
the line by allowing space battles with your friends, dodging the giant
underwater beastie, etc.

Admit it, the cantina or the Emperor's tower or the 'Greet the Emporer' scene
doesn't pack as much adrenaline as a narrow miss between a Tie Fighter and an
X-Wing in the (use your imagination here, or a lot of black and grey) trenches
of the Death Star.

When I was younger I always thought the 'Greet the Emporer' scene with the 6
guards was coolest scene in the movies which at that point only consisted of
the latter 2.  I never saw the first movie till I was 15.

However, every theme I can think of off the top of my head has had some kind • of
base, and other sets that were modelled around a place rather than a vehicle.
It's also hard to believe that the designers of these mostly non-juniorized
sets wouldn't have some really good ideas for static playsets.

So, my conclusion is that 2000 is the year of the Star Wars vehicles, and 2001
will be the year of the Star Wars buildings.

and 1999 was... ?

The guy who was interviewed said it was 'very possible' that something along
the line of Jabba or a Tauntaun would be produced, which makes me think of
Jabba's Palace and the Hoth base as possible playsets (either of these would
sell as well as the MFalcon will). These sets would be able to pick up on the
momentum the line generated from the whooshy sets.

Of course, the alternatives (from the quote at least) are a stripped-down
desert yacht, or Luke alone with his single-piece tauntaun on a 4x6 white
baseplate, but I'd rather be optimistic. :)

From the interview my guesses for 2001 would be:
1 stormtrooper on one piece dewback. $2.99
AT-ST with 1 Imperial pilot/driver and (unfortunatly instead of another
imperial) a chewie with ewok $14.99
TIE fighter with Imperial pilot.  $19.99
Bespin Cloud Car (orange slopes,bricks,and plates Oh Yes) $29.99
Jabba's Sail Barge $99.99
Everything else will be ep 1 stuff. Maybe an extremely down scaled Nubian for
$49.99 I'd rather have a still down scaled $99.99 one though.
I prefer to take a realistic view, that way I could be surprised instead of
disappointed.

-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men"

Visit me at:  http://members.tripod.com/~LordInsanity