 Star Wars / 5796
Re: Star Wars a loss for Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 22:15:05 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Kingsley writes:
I have to agree with Christian on this one.  Although I have no facts to
justify it I think the Classics sets probably sold extremely well and that is
why LEGO had such a hard time keeping up.  I would not be supprised if the EP1
stuff did not sell as well though mostly because the Movie was marketed more
to kids and adult Star Wars fans did not like it as much.  I think the Gungan
Sub has been a particular stinker in that it is ugly, did not appear in the
movie very long and is at the $50 price point which is historically a
difficult price point for LEGO.  I also doubt the Sith Infiltrator sold well
because it is an awful set (although a great Gray Plate Service pack).  As
for the Podrace set I wonder how many people have purchased multiples of this
except when there is a good sale around?  I would think the Naboo Fighter
probably sold well though because it was done well and cool looking.

Of course I think all the SW sets are great compared to most other themes but
I just think the Marketing bonanza behind EP1 was a flop not just for LEGO but
for all EP1 merchandise.  (Even some kids hated Jar Jar which is why most of
his stuff just does not sell).

In general this years sets are almost as good as last years but there isn't a
big hype behind it so the sales are probably slow there too except maybe for
Slave I which contains Boba Fett who has become a Star Wars Folk antihero.

As for TLC's $50 million initail outlay my guess is that in the end it will
prove to be very profitable but for now I am sure they are still trying to
recoupe their initial investment.

Eric Kingsley

Wheras I don't disagree with you that the first Classic sets flew off of the
shelves; I do think that many of those sets were purchased by collectors, who
may have thought that there would be further constrained availability of these
sets. I know that in the Portland (Oregon) Metro area, all of the Classic sets
were available at comic book and collectible shops the day after their release
at prices 2 or 3 times the LEGO retail price. Since all of these sets had been
snapped up by the collectibles market (at least within the first few days)
this created an artificial demand/price increase fluctuation. Now, all of the
Classic and Episode I sets are available at or below retail price, and the
collectibles shops aren't even looking at Star Wars-themed LEGO.

Personally, I love the Star Wars sets. I agree that there is a serious lack of
Dark Side/Empire sets, but I've got a Steaming Heap of bricks here, and white
Classic Space guys look a lot like Stormtroopers.

*ahem*

I'd best get back to work, now.

-Cheese