 Star Wars / 5311
5310  |  5312
Subject:
B-Wing Review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 17:34:08 GMT

Set: B-Wing at Rebel Command Center (# 7180)

Piece Count: 338
Minifigs: 3 (counting the droid)

Price: $29.99
Price per Piece: $.09 (rounded up, before tax)

My ratings:
Parts Selections: 9 out of 10
Playability: 10 out of 10
Overall design: 8 out of 10
My overall rating: 9 out of 10

This set was my biggest Christmas suprise.  First, I had no idea that I was
getting it.  Second, knowing that I'd probably guess what it was if she just
wrapped it, my wife padded each polybag with tissue within the box, and then
stuck the set box in a gift bag.  Expecting dress clothes in that gift bag, I
didn't perform the giveaway Shake Test (who among us doesn't love that
wonderful, deep, rich, rattle and clink of Legos in a box?), and thus, I was
marvelously suprised and overjoyed when I beheld the Bi-Wing on Christmas
morning.

First, let me say that I am extremely happy with this set.  It has an excellent
parts selections, and though I have a few nitpicks with parts of its design, I
think that both the B-Wing and the command center are very attractive and one of
the most play-able sets that I have had for a long time.

A few pieces of special interest (to me, anyway):

12 1x2 trans-yellow plates
3 2x2 round orange tiles
1 3x4x1 black slope
3 black cannons
2 1x6 brown plates
1 2x2 round yellow plate
4 1x12 white bricks
1 Smoked canopy
2 1x2x2 green technic bricks with the "cross-hair" holes
5 2x2 dark gray tiles
2(?) 1x6 dark gray tiles
1 4x4 clear piece with Sanctuary Moon/Death Star imprinting
1 1x1 white tile with gauge imprinting
1 1x5 blue beam with female click-hinges on both ends
1 Cool new red flightsuit.

Plus: Several black male and female slot pieces for use in the Command Center
sliding doors.

I know that my brief list has overlooked many useful pieces that are in this
set, but, as you can see, this set is full of a wonderful selection of worthwile
elements.

Now, for my nitpicks:

1. The black POOPS that make up the sliding blast doors;  While I acknowledge
that these pieces can be useful, they could have been made of stacked 1x4x1
bricks.  I'm Old School.  Give me basic elements whenever possible.  So what if
it adds an extra dozen pieces to the set count?

2. The engine compartment is also a tool drawer.  (The new maintenance hover-
vehicle has a small device with prongs for tools that rests on two 2x2 tiles;
you can remove this storage device (for lack of a better descriptive), and place
it inside of the engine compartment.  Now, in terms of being true to the basic
B-Wing design, this is bad, bad, bad.  However, this is a cool feature in terms
of playability (for kids), so I have to give it high marks in that regard.

3. The computer console in the command center is a bit sparse; it is made of 2
1x2 tiles with the new SW "buttons and lights" printing that is found in most of
the Classic SW sets.  Ok.  First, let me say that, yes, I realize that there is
room for 2 more computer consoles, and yes, I know that it is Lego and that
customizing is what it is all about.  I have plenty of computer consoles, so
that is not a problem.  I am, however, judging the merits of the set as it
exists; thus said, I give it high marks for "customizability," but, it wouldn't
have hurt things to throw in a couple of computer consoles with the set.

Despite my prodigious nitpicks, I have to repeat that this set has an awesome
parts selection, is very attractive, has excellent play-ability for kids, and is
a fair representation of the B-Wing (just don't open the engine compartment.)  I
also forgot to mention that the rotating cockpit was (IMO), well done.

I highly recommend this set.  It's a must have for SW fanatics, and for Lego
collectors of all ilks (for its parts selection, if nothing else.)

Sincerely,

James Simpson