 Star Wars / 339
Re: LIC SW info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 21:52:08 GMT

Also, the screen-print process seems to not allow them to coordinate two
different prints on same part, so they couldn't make a second print from
a different orientation to complete the edges.

But this is all just a guess.

It sounds like a good guess to me. Given the limitations you point out
though, I would have probably chosen to get at least the front of the head
right, and maybe made the part in gray rather than white to make up for • the
back being blank & to be more like the 'real' thing.

Too bad I'm wrong.  Well, I *hope* I'm wrong.  They have to be able to
get R2's face on straight!  The head piece has cutouts in the bottom for
studs, so it can't rotate.  That means if they can't screen print in the
correct location, R2 will be looking permanently to one side or the
other!  So they'd *better* be able to control how the piece is oriented
before screen printing.  Which (in my mind) means they could build a
custom double-screen-printer, which would finish the edges in a second
pass.  Oh, well.

I just realized the answer to this dilemma is staring me in the face.  On
top of my computer sits sets no 6709, an Indian on a horse with a
headdress(1)  The headdress is quite a complicated shape (lots of curvy
feathers) but it has printing that starts on one side and wraps, up over the
top and down the other.  In fact I also notice that the horse, all the
horses in fact have printing on both sides.  Bugger, there's another.  a
minifig with printing on both sides of the body.  so It's possible.

Cheers
Tim

(1) the Indian has the headdress, not the horse.