 Star Wars / 333
Re: LIC SW info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 14:42:40 GMT

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999 11:21:42 GMT, "Scott Symer" <ssymer@teleport.com>
wrote:

In article <3691b9e4.36125720@lugnet.com>, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman)
wrote:

Speaking of Artoo, what's up with that extra ring of white between his
hemispherical head and his cylindrical body...?  There shouldn't be more
than 1/2 mm. of vertical whitespace there, and they've got at least 5 mm.

I'd noticed that earlier - it even looks like his* head is one piece,
correctly curved & proportioned & everything, which they could have just
gone right on painting down to the edge rather than truncating everything to
the top half as they appear to have done.

Maybe it's an artifact of the screen-printing process.  From your
description (I haven't look at the catalog scans lately), it sounds like
TLG decorated R2's head by holding the 'head' sideways and applying the
design:
            __
Screen     /  |
Print ->  |   |
Device     \__|

Which would mean they couldn't do the sides in the same pass.

Also, the screen-print process seems to not allow them to coordinate two
different prints on same part, so they couldn't make a second print from
a different orientation to complete the edges.

But this is all just a guess.

My curiosity is also much aroused by the fact that there don't seem to be
any photos yet showing how they've handled the leg (?) - body joints (will
he* tip back like he's supposed to?), nor how his* little feet connect to a
baseplate (spanning 2 studs, like a minifig, would be too narrow; spanning 4
studs would seem kinda too wide; and 3 would be...odd).

I'm not the only one wondering about that?  Maybe the legs are only as
thick as plates are high, allowing R2's feet to be inserted between
studs.  Or maybe they have cutouts so that R2's body can be centered on
a 2x2 spot, and the feet will fit onto the adjoining studs.  So R2 would
be less than 4-wide, but more than 3-wide.

Steve