 Star Wars / 336
Re: LIC SW info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:45:58 GMT

In article <36922364.8393291@lugnet.com>, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve
Bliss) wrote:

snip Todd then Scott talking about the funky painting on R2's head<<

Maybe it's an artifact of the screen-printing process.  From your
description (I haven't look at the catalog scans lately), it sounds like
TLG decorated R2's head by holding the 'head' sideways and applying the
design:
           __
Screen     /  |
Print ->  |   |
Device     \__|

Which would mean they couldn't do the sides in the same pass.

Also, the screen-print process seems to not allow them to coordinate two
different prints on same part, so they couldn't make a second print from
a different orientation to complete the edges.

But this is all just a guess.

It sounds like a good guess to me. Given the limitations you point out
though, I would have probably chosen to get at least the front of the head
right, and maybe made the part in gray rather than white to make up for the
back being blank & to be more like the 'real' thing.

snip Scott pondering R2 leg arrangements<<

I'm not the only one wondering about that?  Maybe the legs are only as
thick as plates are high, allowing R2's feet to be inserted between
studs.  Or maybe they have cutouts so that R2's body can be centered on
a 2x2 spot, and the feet will fit onto the adjoining studs.  So R2 would
be less than 4-wide, but more than 3-wide.

Steve

OK, yes, I think you're right again: on further study of the evidence
(mostly the Y-wing photo on p.7 of the Jan 99 S@H catalog), the droid
appears to be a half-stud shy of 4 studs wide on each side, which would make
him 3 studs wide overall; but he's still centered in the 2X4 'droid socket',
so it's a good bet the feet fit between studs.

Also, the photo on p.4 of the small in-box catalog shows the body tipped
back wrt the legs so that joint must be articulated.

Good. Now the only thing left to wonder is if they made any attempt to put
in R2's 3rd locomotion ...erm... thingy, you know the one that comes down
when he's tipped back.

Scott, from Oregon, who wouldn't normally seem quite so obsessed with
creating R2-D2 in Lego if he hadn't spent so much time trying to do it when
he was 12...