 Star Wars / 15288
Re: Comparing Starfighter Speeds
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:02:59 GMT

David Koudys wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Jeff Jardine writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  In dogfighting, the ability to
  attain a high absolute speed is secondary to the
  ability to maneuver.  For example, in WWII (always
  a popular referent!) Me-262 pilots, capable of
  travelling much faster than any of their opponents,
  were routinely shot down by piston-engined P-47s and
  P-51s because they were not as capable of maneuver.
  The German jets did best when they "lanced through"
  a formation of bombers and rapidly shot out of range.

In this example, there are a lot more factors than just speed vs.
manoeuvrability:
- Many of those 262s that were shot down were jumped during take-off or
landing, when their speed couldn't help them.
- That late in the war there were very few experienced German pilots.
- The Me-262s that saw action performed roles that did not allow them to
engage allied fighters, such as bombing and intercepting bombers.

Just because a fast craft is less manoeuvrable doesn't mean it is less
effective.  It helps if you can lure a slower-turning opponent into a
turning fight.  Slashing attacks were the norm for P-47s, as well as
American fighters in the Pacific.  If it were all about manoeuvrability,
P-51s should still be in service because they can turn inside an F-16.

Jeff J

One of the neatest scenes in a movie was in 'The Final Countdown' (Kirk Douglas)

When a modern day aircraft carrier (Nimitz if I recall) gets sucked back in
tome to Dec 5, 1941.

There, Douglas has to wrestle with the decision to engage the Japanese
battlefleet, which was at that time steaming to Pearl Harbour...

Anyway, one scene a couple of Zeros are flying unawares towards the aircraft
carrier, so Douglas orders a couple of F-14's to intercept and stop the Zeros.

The F14 flyby you see the Zeros fumbling in the wake of the jetstream...

F14's taking on Zeros--yeah, not much of a chance, though if I recall, the
Zeros did get a couple of hits on one of the F14's

A pretty good movie all around--the sci-fi wasn't that far fetched (time
travel--happens all the time! ;) )

There was a neat SF short story I read once about a modern fighter
winding up in WW I. The pilot quickly determined that the only way his
aircraft was effective was to create a sonic boom shock wave as he
passed the enemy fighters. I forget if the problem was the heat seeking
missiles couldn't find a target or if the missiles didn't realize they
had hit anything.

Frank