 Star Wars / 15238
Re: Comparing Starfighter Speeds
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 03:28:37 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Andrew Summersgill writes:

This sort of thing is what annoys me about prequels and the like - take
Enterprise (yeah I know, different franchise) - they've already met
Klingons, Romulans and have a ship named Enterprise that pre-dates the ship
we "know" was the FIRST one named Enterprise, but no-one at the studio seems
to care.  And the Klingons have lumpy forheads but we "know"that in Kirk's
time - they, erm, didn't.

If there's a logical explanation for all of this, I wish someone could
provide it to me.

The explanation is that the original Star Trek art and costume department
had a crappy budget and couldn't make humanoid aliens look very alien (or
far-out aliens look very realistic).

Just like Lucas wanted to go back and redo all three original SW movies, I'm
sure Gene wouldn't have minded going back and redoing the Klingon makeup (he
certainly had no problem with how Worf looked, and Worf was only half
Klingon, fergodssake).

As for the original topic, the starfighter speeds... for one thing, I see
most SW starfighter "speed ratings" in "MGLT" not kph, and there's always a
diff between space and atmospheric.

For one thing, maintaining velocity under friction conditions in an
atmosphere takes fuel. In space, momentum takes care of maintaining it, and
even though SW ships don't fully obey the laws of physics (no sound in a
vacuum, you can't turn right away, etc. etc.)

So anyway, the real measure of a starfighter is acceleration/thrust and
maneuverability, not velocity.

But in short, the explanation for the Klingon thing, the speed thing, and
any other SW/ST thing is that Lucas and Gene didn't think through everything
for millions of hours before allowing them to hit the screen. People can
change their mind later, and often do.

-Greg "Fox" Cook