 Star Wars / 15237
Re: Comparing Starfighter Speeds
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 03:02:47 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Andrew Summersgill writes:

This sort of thing is what annoys me about prequels and the like - take
Enterprise (yeah I know, different franchise) - they've already met
Klingons, Romulans and have a ship named Enterprise that pre-dates the ship
we "know" was the FIRST one named Enterprise, but no-one at the studio seems
to care.  And the Klingons have lumpy forheads but we "know"that in Kirk's
time - they, erm, didn't.

If there's a logical explanation for all of this, I wish someone could
provide it to me.

What's with all this revisionist stuff anyway?

That Klingons got lumpy heads in the first place was revisionism - Paramount
simply had the budget to do it, and wanted to make them look a bit different
from Terrans (Earthling is such a despicable sounding term <g>).  All we
need is for them to digitally add some lumps to the original Klingons and we
are set.  I know there was particularly lame excuse for the original switch,
but I think just accepting the limitations of the original show is easier.

Turning back to this Starfighter malarkey - unless the explanation is that
the rise of the Empire led to a technological "Dark Age", I can't think of
any reason as to why this information would be correct.  As for the twin-pod
cloud car being faster than a TIE Interceptor, that's just ludicrous.  Give
me a TIE Int any time.  The twin-pod thingy is an atmospheric vehicle - how
can it be the fastest thing around when it has air resistance and gravity
and stuff to overcome when a TIE Int has no such problems?  And if they can
design an engine that can speed a ship to 1,500 km/h in atmosphere - why not
fit it onto a Starfighter and REALLY get some speed in space?!?

Yeah, I'd ignore those numbers.  A snowspeeder going a thousand clicks
skimming above the snow?  Sounds like someone using those numbers for gaming.

-->Bruce<--