 Star Wars / 15243
Re: Comparing Starfighter Speeds
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:33:30 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Leonard Hoffman writes:

Using this site as a reference:
http://www.wizards.com/starwars/article.asp?x=sw20020725aconversion2
* = data from UCS stickers from Gareth's fbtb.net section

I've found some disturbing stats about relative starfighter speeds:

Classic Movies:
A-wing     =  1300 km/h*
B-wing     =  900 km/h*
X-wing     =  1050 km/h
Y-wing     =  800 km/h*
TIE Adv    =  1250 km/h*
TIE Int.   =  1250 km/h
TIE Fighter=  1200 km/h
Cloud Car  =  1500 km/h*
RBR        =  950 km/h*
Snowspeeder=  1000 km/h
Incom T-16 =  1175 km/h

Prequels:
Naboo N-1  =  1200 km/h*
Droid SF   =  1180 km/h
Jedi SF    =  1200 km/h

EU:
Z95 Hunter =  1150 km/h

  Umm.. hello? does anyone notice that the three Prequel fighters, designed
and made years before the class movies all go faster than the X-Wing? Even the
z95 headhunter is faster!!  Wasn't the X-Wing supposed to be an amazing upgrade
to everything that came before?  It looks more like a step down! (at least
speed wise).

  And uhhh, the Twin Cloud Car can outspeed the A-Wing and the TIE
Interceptor? Whaa?  This whimpy little thing has better speed than two of the
most formidible Starfighters?  I can only guess that the Cloud Car is designed
for atmospheric travel, while the A-wing and Tie-Int are for space fighting,
but still.

  Someone please tell me that these figures aren't correct.  They seem so
contrary to reason.. ughh

-Lenny

The Falcon needs to be in there, appearently it's one of the fastest ships
in the galaxy.  It made the kessel run in blah blah blah parsecs.  But like
pointed out before, the speed in space would be different than a speed in
atmosphere.  Can cloud cars travel in space?  I would guess no, and I think
snow speeders can't travel in space either.  In ESB, don't the pilots
redezvous to a location and trade ships for Xwings?  If the snow speeders
could travel in space why the change?  And for Xwings being more advanced,
maybe the guns are more advanced than anything else.  So I would say ships
that are for atmosphere only flight have to have bigger engines than the
space-weary ships.  So it's only fair that they have a higher speed rating.
Or whatever.

Oh somebody brought up star trek so I'll say this.  That enterprise D that
was in the last episode of TNG was probably the fastest ship ever.  It had
that extra warp engine and the big guns, it was cool.  I'll say it was
faster than the borg cube cuz that thing is dumb and I don't want to
acknowledge it.

e.