 Star Wars / 12273
Re: Is the Blockade Runner worth it??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:46:16 GMT

My son (age 5) and I just built mine and we had a blast!  It's an incredible
ship.  It's huge too.  It's my all time favorite star wars ship.  A bit
flimsy though, and the highly touted dark red pieces seem to me to just be
cheap manufacturing.  In fact the regular red bricks look cheaper too.  More
like the imitator companies now.  So much for higher quality.  Costs must be
rising in Connecticut and Denmark.

I will say I'm happy they were just stickers.  I can't stand bricks with
designs printed on them.  Their use is very limited that way.

Except for the engine pieces and new red colors I could have built the set
with my existing collection so there's nothing new to me about any of the
pieces.

One thing on the conversion to minifig.  It looks fairly easy to me.  The
hull is large enough for some action (Darth Vader choke scene and Leia/R2
scene) and the bottom engines have room for something too. The front section
looks the toughest.  The trick is maintaining the outer look.  I think I
could fit a cockpit in there for a couple of minifigs.  But it will be very
tight.  I'll let you all know what I manage to do...

Overall, very well worth the money.  Except for the fact that they shorted
me four pieces!  First time since the early 90s, and before that the early
80s that happened to me.  Two pieces are clearly missing.  One piece is the
wrong tone of gray.  The other is a white smooth 1x4 but should have the
thingys (bumps, knobs?, gotta check my lego vocab now) on it.  But given the
hundreds of sets I've gotten over the years that's not so big a deal.

It's well worth the money!!!!!!!!  :-)

In lugnet.starwars, Chuck Lang writes:
I am considering buying this pricey set, but I wanted to see if everyone
here thought it was worth it first.  I have not seen one in person so it is
hard to judge.
Thanks,
Chuck