 Star Wars / 12270
Re: Is the Blockade Runner worth it??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 22:20:14 GMT

i bought it, built it, loved it.

there are 52 white quarter cylinder elements.

after building it, i find it highly unlikely that the ship can be converted
to minifig scale without altering the size and/or appearance of ship. some
possibility lies in the hull, but the head is a whole other matter. of
course, there is always the chance that i am wrong and i would be excited to
see someone prove me wrong. here's a pic of the hammerhead with half of the
plates removed to show the engineering detail:

http://www.fbtb.net/runner/headexp.jpg

overall, i really enjoyed building the runner more so than the x-wing or
tie. the way the wings attached to hull in the x-wing really bothered me.
and both ships got a little repetitive (build wing, repeat, repeat, repeat).
the engines in the runner repeat 11 times but they go so fast it doesn't
seem like much of anything once you get a rhythm going. it's the last thing
you build so it's more like the home stretch and then you really hardly
notice it.

while there are no interior details unlike the two former ucs ships, the
scale was perfect to lend itself to exterior detailing. stickers bum me out,
i would have preferred printed pieces but even without the stickers, the
overall appearance of the ship is quite awesome. you almost forget it's made
out of LEGO sometimes....

that's my two cents.

In lugnet.starwars, Chuck Lang writes:
I am considering buying this pricey set, but I wanted to see if everyone
here thought it was worth it first.  I have not seen one in person so it is
hard to judge.
Thanks,
Chuck