 Space / 9398
Re: On to other news....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 20:00:44 GMT

In lugnet.space, Greg Majewski writes:
In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:
The instructions for the Canadian Lego catalog of 1988 referred to Futuron
as Futureworld.

Really? I never knew that. Thanks for pointing it out. Do you have a link or
proof that this was the case?

The same symbol appears for Futuron sets as it does for
Legoland Space sets and both Futuron and Legoland Space have the same logo.
The first version of Space Police has the similar planet on the shoulder
logo as Futuron and to most people, those Space Police figures can be easily
confused with the black shouldered figures of Futuron and the only
differences are that the planet is gold and not yellow on their shoulders
and that the Space Police I visors are red and not blue as was the normal
visor colors of Futuron.

Oh, I was not aware that you were referring to the minifigs. True, SP1 and
black Futuron minifigs both have the same torsos. But it is also worth
noting that SP1 figs have black and white arms and legs as opposed to the
straight black uniforms of Futuron.

The words "Space Police" do not appear until the
1992 resurrection of Space Police, or as known on Lugnet as Space Police II,
and on Space Police I, only the word "Police" appears on the doors that are
red as opposed to the transparent green of the windows, windscreens, and
visors of the Space Police II sets and figures.

Sorry, I must have had a little brain spaz. True, "POLICE" only appears sans
the "SPACE" part on the SP1 vehicles and base.

I believe that they simply
referred to Futuron as Legoland Space for several years because they did not
have any ideas for any competing forces in space until 1987.

Futuron was named in 1988. The first Futuron sets appeared only a few months
before this, so I highly doubt this is the case.

I believe that
if you play a certain video game with a sword carrying elf named Link, you
will see why the old Blacktron logo does not exist on the newer Blacktron
sets.  I believe that Nintendo could have sued Lego for copyright
infringement because of the old Blacktron logo but they, meaning Lego,
discontinued that logo for fear of being sued by Nintendo.

I'm not an expert in this area, but I highly doubt this is the case. Isn't
the BT1 logo a traingle pointing down while the Zelda triforce logo is a
traingle pointing up?

I hope that
shows more information to you, Greg.

Yeah, thanks for giving me the heads up on the Futureworld issue.

greg
The logo for Blacktron I and the Legend of Zelda series both contain the
same logo but The Legend of Zelda also contains the logo in an upward
direction and I know this because I used to own the Legend of Zelda:  A Link
to the Past on my Super Nintendo Entertainment System.  I am not sure about
your comment about the Futuron and Space Police I figures so I guess I will
figure that problem out on Fibblesnork.  The link of proof for the alternate
name of Futuron exists on the 1988 catalogs on Lugnet.  I am not sure which
catalog but it ends with the letters "ca."  There are also apparently two
different versions of the black figures of Futuron and apparently two more
colors of Futuron I never knew that existed on Fibblesnork.  The new Futuron
color schemes are red, white, and green and black, yellow, and white.  These
figures contain the blue visors of all of the other Futuron figures but
since those two color schemes were only sold on Dacta, obtaining these
figures and the set would prove to be difficult for a dedicated Lego
builder.  I do remember the differences about the black shouldered figures
of Futuron and Space Police I and you are correct in your statements, Greg.
Please view the catalogs, Greg.  With the comment of the introduction of
Futuron, did you say that the first sets of Futuron existed before they were
known as Futuron because that would be a horrible mistake from Lego and I do
not believe that Lego would commit such a terrible error for the Futuron sets.
Jesse Long