 Space / 853
Re: awfully quiet here.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 19:25:07 GMT

That's a pretty cool design concept.  I can't wait to see how it works
out -- your modules are nearly as big in themselves as the capital ship I'm
building right now. :)  With that design, your ship could be anything from a
luxury vacation cruiser to a warship to a freighter.

One comment about the cryogenic transport module -- I was thinking the other
day that the rounded Star Wars cockpit windshields (Naboo fighter & A-Wing)
would make perfect cryo chambers, either lying down or upright.

--

Paul Davidson

Wayne R Hussey <eskimo@uswestmail.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:
   Subject says it all. I guess everyone is off building giant • spaceships.
Or maybe somethins wrong with my newsreader.  Hmmm...

   Palmer.

I've been working on a design that incorporates the engineering section • aft
with a bridge, crew quarters and two shuttles attached fore connected by a • long
"central corridor" where unit modules are attached. So far, I have decided • each
side will hold four module units (eight total). The modules I've planned • are:

passenger (1 unit)
cargo (1 unit)
medical (1 unit)
cryogenic transport (1 unit)
Sensor platform (1 unit)
weapons pod (1 unit)
fighter bay (2 units)
hangar bay (4 units)

This will allow my "standard hull" to be configured to any type of ship • from
starliner to battleship and any mix in between. The central corridor • includes
mechanical attachment for the modules with airlocks and power couplings. • I'm
trying to make it of a size that would make sense to minifigs, which for • this
undertaking seems huge. The length should be about 380 studs and width • about 90
studs. I expect no more than five decks at about 6 to 8 bricks in height.

A module is 48 studs long by 36 studs wide (with the central corridor 16 • studs
wide).

I've also figured out the numbers of crew/passengers/patients/whatever for • the
hull and each type of module:

Hull:   36 crew, 2 pilots, 4 officers, 1 captain
passenger module: 21 passengers, 6 stewards
cargo module: 2 crew
medical module: 8 medical staff, 16 patients
cryo module: 64 "passengers"
sensor module: 6 crew
weapons pod: 8 gunners
fighter bay: 4 pilots (for the 4 fighters), 4 crew
hangar bay: 12 crew

At first, I am planning to build 3 passenger bays, 1 medical, 1 cargo, 1
medical and 2 weapons pods. This should make an adequate exploration • version.
If time permits, I plan to build at least one of each of the other • modules.

However, If I write any more, I won't have enough time to build...

Wayne