 Space / 6256
Re: new Mk4 pics are up on brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 00:14:25 GMT

In lugnet.space, Trevor Pruden writes:
<snip>

I REALLY want to get into Ldraw.  I tried, but I think I had a down-level
version that was non-user freindly.  If someone could set me up with a
windoze-based version that is user friendly and provide some instruction,
now THAT would be a kind gesture!  :^)  If that were to happen, my capitals
would get really nice in a short period of time becuase I wouldn't be
restricted to the number of pieces available!  Suggestions are welcome!

I would suggest you goto http://www.ldraw.org and lookup all you can about
MLCad.  The base LDraw is a DOS based program, but MLCad is a full featured
Windows application.  It actually requires the LDraw files however, so you
should install LDraw first.  MLCad is much more user friendly than base
LDraw.  Also on that site there are links to tutorials, sample models, and
add-ons that you can use to make the most of LDraw.  Also be sure you see
Bram Lambrecht's tutorial on LDraw and LEdit here:
http://library.thinkquest.org/20551/

It's an excellent tutorial, and it helped me out a great deal when I first
started playing around with LDraw.

  Installation of LDraw and MLCad are both fairly straightforward.  "CADing"
Lego in any program takes a while to get used to, but once you do you can
store your models forever in a file that's typically less than a meg... <G>
Plus you can use tools such as L3P to make POV files that you can raytrace
with POV-Ray, leading to some absolutely beautiful results.

If you still have trouble after checking out ldraw.org and Bram's tutorial,
feel free to e-mail me and I'll try to help you with it...

Y'all come back, now, y'hear?

~Trev
Astro Lift Co.

-Bryan