 Space / 6257
Re: new Mk4 pics are up on brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 00:59:39 GMT

"Trevor Pruden" <trevor_pruden@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:G7L7C7.F4q@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney writes:

Interesting that you follow Star Trek technology quite closely - Brandon and • I
started out doing that when we began building stuff for Zacktron back in '92,
but over the years have split and used other influences such as modern • military
strucutre/units, NASA/future realistic space flight projections, and other
Sci-Fi movies.  Its kinda a conglomeration of all - we try to become unique • and
not just one technology.

I did before, but I found that some people use fold technology, some use
warp conduits, some use hyper space - but when it comes to fictional FTL
technology, I found that the most documented material comes from Star Trek.
So, in the interest of adding detail to my ship, and because I'm an enigneer
(really!) I wanted something that looked half believable.  To me at least.
But that's not to say that I don't like everyone elses method of attack too.
So far I have been very impressed with what I have seen out there.  I only
wish people would build MORE capitals, since capitals in my mind are far
more realistic than teeny-tiny 1-man fighters performing intersellar flight.
I also can't see the use of only fighter craft without jump gates - Very
small vessels just don't have the power generation capability in my mind's
eye.  A transport or freighter or even a heavy fighter: now *that's* a
different story - they tend to be larger and have room for the power
generation.  Thoughts?

Aah, I understand.  I'm considering several NASA theories to explain Zacktron's
FTL 'Translight' drive system, and will BS my own explanation.  But I really
like the Trek documentation on Warp theory - cool stuff!

(I used to be a die-hard Trekkie in jr high, but now its just grown out of me,
probably because of the lack of a good story on TV - when TNG ended and Voyager
started featuring 'weird phase shifiting alien of the week complete with time
dimension plot hole' I quit watching)

Well there are 4 true decks in total (I don't think I finished paragraph
relating to this in my last post)
Deck 1) bridge/science (highest deck)
Deck 2) general crew
bunks/washrooms/showers/cargo/weapons/brig/security/subsystems
Deck 3) officer's quarters/medical/mess hall & galley/fighter bay control
Deck 4) docking ring, escape pods, service bays. (lowest deck)

Cool...

Aah...where to put the docking ring :)  Well, on a 2-deck ship, like Brandon's
and mine, you have three choices - top deck, bottom, or right in the middle.
Probably in hindsight the best place for a docking ring is near a cargo hold and
near the medical bay, with easy access to engineering sections.  Gotta consider
that in the future with larger designs.

The service and main fighter bays are all two decks high, and engineering is
three decks high.  There is an upper and lower level in
engineering/propulsion, but they tend to overlap the second and third decks
since the propulsion machinery is so big compared to the minifigs themselves.

Cool!  I want the room to do a few decks worth of cargo hold/shuttlebay.  If I
do a ship 5ft long or longer, I'll definitely include a large shuttlebay to one
side or the aft.  Best position for one of those suckers anyone?

I have a sketch of the side and top view of a ship which has a couple
rectangular pods sticking out the back of the ship, kinda 'exo-hull' to serve as
craft bays.  Propulsion is underneath.  It all depends on the purpose of the
ship, I imagine.  Tight warships don't really need them - save as a means of
escape.

I have another concept (built) for a modular cargo bay unit - which would attach
to the lowest deck of a large vessel and clamp on and become a functioning part
of the ship.  This is to keep cargo storage out of the main hull (unnecessary on
shorter missions), and to provide a possible escape pod for the crew.  My pod
can hold 18 minifigs seated, and the assumption is a planet will be near by it
can re-enter and guide its way down to a city or a pickup location.

The unit has an exterior door to space and a 6-wide closing door to the inside
of the ship, where there would be presumably a large corridor and a similar
cargo unit across on the opposide side.  Perhaps elevators or chutes up to the
upper decks?

Maybe I could scan the sketch with the documentation for it and post it - the
model is at home and I don't have pics of it yet, its not really complete.

As for the brig, well, I have always liked the use of a brig.  The brig is
useful containment area to perform torture and interogations prior to
ejection from an airlock!  ;^D  Wait, I didn't say that!  Nobody better
tattle to  Grand Admrial Sandlin on me, now!  He's liable to have one of my
captians stripped of rank!

Aah don't worry about those Admiral Sandlin types...besides, he spends too much
time talking about his Muffin Head :^)

I think our ships larger than 30 strong crew should have a detention area, but
something smaller its just not practical for the space, besides - there's
probably not a lot transferring between ships when its out, my destroyer only
has one docking port and a hatch in the airlock.

You should LDraw the models you like and disassemble them for capship • projects -
if you use more specialty parts you'll get a lot better asthetic effect. • Just
my suggestion :-)

I REALLY want to get into Ldraw.  I tried, but I think I had a down-level
version that was non-user freindly.  If someone could set me up with a
windoze-based version that is user friendly and provide some instruction,
now THAT would be a kind gesture!  :^)  If that were to happen, my capitals
would get really nice in a short period of time becuase I wouldn't be
restricted to the number of pieces available!  Suggestions are welcome!

What Brian said...gosh darnit, beat me to it ;-)

They're permissable, but they're still not as visually pleasing as a well
rounded, defined ship.

Well put.  You know, everyone should bear in mind that while this ship lacks
in some asthetics, (and this is important!) I *REALLY* like the way it
turned out.  I actually wanted this thing to look somewhat boxy.  That was
the style that I was looking for this time around, and that's why this is
the "Mk4".  My previous attempts were trying to achieve the same thing, but
I just wasn't happy with them. And for good reason (they sucked).  I finally
feel that I have achieved the look that I want in a ship of this specific
type and style, taking into account the available pieces.

Good point.  Yes, I think the Mk4 is the best of your Destroyer series yet.

Yes, some details
could always be improved, but that's the point.  If this ship was perfect,
I'd never want to make another one.

I tend to think the opposite - I always want to outdo myself, so I will always
try to build something better.  Brandon and I have been designing capships for
close to 10 years now - and we never get tired of it!  We've learned a TON since
we were wee ones too.

You're all right , though - I should
now use the experience I have gained and move into the non-boxy arena.  I
would like to keep my size around the size of your destroyer, and eliminate
the use of fighter bays altogether.  I wanted a ship that would accomodate
larger fighters, and escort fleet carriers.  I have accomplished this.  Now
let's look at cruisers, frigates and gun boats to add to my line of craft.
I really liked Dan Jassim's A-wing carrier and felt that I could tackle
other roles for now.

Well, you've got a good goal ahead of ya - I can't wait to see what you come up
with.

I think I'm about 6000 pieces, maybe more.  Mostly classic brick.  I placed
the escape pods on the lowest deck to allow for more support (walls in
between pods).  My Mk2 was my last solid piece ship of this size, and that
one was HEAVY.  This one is twice the size altogether.

See ours is probably 3-2 brick to plate ratio!  The back gray area internal
structure is a lot of plates, because its not built in 3-plate intervals to
accomodate bricks nicely.  Also, when you get into the built-into-wall detail,
that gets tough to do with just bricks.  So, to us, the 1200 piece tubs are
great (wish they made an off-color bin of say gray, dk gray, tan, and orange in
1200 piece tubs...and...1200 plate tubs!!) - but plates are more valuable,
especially in 6xN format.

One thing of note:  My ships modular as you can see in the pics.  The idea
here is that I can leave sections off if I want!  :^)  So, I could remove
the service bays to make a different configuration of the craft.  I saw this
in Star Trek where the show modelers took pieces of older models to make new
ships in new episodes.  We see this in Star Trek Generations at the end of
the movie.

Wow I didn't notice that!  That's a good idea when making ships.  Brandon and I
go for a ship that's 'wooshable' - even though if you get much bigger than this
you can't manuver it very easily.  So, a ship that's built totally in pieces vs.
structurally one unit isn't our style - but good idea!!

What I really want is a sweet technique on doing shuttle bay doors...

I like this because I can create different role craft with
different pieces.  (For such large ships, pieces would not be manufactured
in prefab segments, but think of incorporating existing designs, and
individual segments are designed by different teams - this sort of
standardization is model used by Astro Lift Co.)

Cool.

You mention accomodating your ships - and I saw a hangar bay with a plane in • it.
Is that what you meant?

Yup.  I can hold three A-wings comfortably.  Which is what I wanted since
Dan Jassim's A-Wing carrier holds 8 I believe.

Is the A-Wing a mysterious standard among .space? ;-)  I dunno what I'd measure
my bays by....maybe average fighter storage volume of all the fighters designed
(by Brandon and I), find a common shape for that, and assign units to that and
marker lines in a hangar bay....

With our ship classes - we intend to provide more loose guidelines and then
every ship built for the fleet will have a specific mission.  So, some
Destroyers (this is odd - Destroyer is both a category and a class in • Zacktron,
because we haven't come up with a naming convention for our ships yet - still • in
development, but we believe our Destroyers will be named after famous • military
personnel and space battles) follow the typical 'put a few guns there and a • few
guns there and kick the snot out of em' pattern, and others have special
functions and therefore different internal/external configs.

I would love to have us all come up with some loose standard guidelines.
People can play around with that and it doesn't have to be fixed, but for
comparison purposes and with the up and coming Space Domain, it would be
nice to be able to classify what is a cruiser, destroyer, frigate, carrier,
fleet carrier, support craft, gun boat, super destroyer, and so on, just
like the talks that have transpired on what is a heavy, medium and light
fighter.  None have to look similar of course, but it would be neat-o non
the less.

Hmm - people have tried to come up with standards in here for a while and it
never seems to work.  Each persons' style is pretty different most of the time.
I have a set of standards for Zacktron, which can be read at
http://www.zacktron.com/alliance/mil/space/ - (I've referenced this a few times
already) - the source of that is a book called 'Ships of the US Fleet' published
by the US Navy in the 1970s, our storyline, and various Sci-Fi influences.  On
the light/med/heavy thing, take a small destroyer (crew 15-25) and call it
light, mid size (25-35) and call it medium, and large size (35-50) and call it
heavy (for us).  But I realize others have other standards.  But at the same
time, none of the others *can* participate in the Zacktron universe, so my
standards are fine for me (and likewise for you or anyone else, probalby - have
your own set of independent standards which you feel best suit your storyline).

Man, I want my bricks!  This is what sucks about living in a dorm 1000 miles
from home.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com