 Space / 6229
Re: new Mk4 pics are up on brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 06:15:31 GMT

"Kirby Warden" <inourimage@msn.com> wrote in message
news:G7Ju6o.GHF@lugnet.com...

     Looking much better.  Oh, and look, a color scheme!:^)

Yes, looking better.

     Although I'm not certain what everything is that I saw in the pics, I
like the clear pieces in the engineering space (did you take the fiber optic
idea from Mark's Mithrandir?), for me, sci-fi engineering spaces have to
have clear pieces, it's like...eye candy or something.

Yup, they have to :-)  I've both seen and experimented with many different
engineering/engine room designs - it can be done so many ways, but there are
always some common themes.

     Is that the galley under the bridge?  Nice captain's chair.

I like the chair too.  Brandon and I have used the same captain's chair config
for a long time though - a space 2x3 bracket chair and a 2x4 double inverse
slope 'airplane bottom' underneath.  Its hard to break tradition :D

     From the first pics that I saw, I truely thought that the geen brick
plates were actually the top of your MK4 (there were no interior pics for
reference at the time) I'm happy to have been wrong.
     Great work.  Job well done.

Its impressive on size matters, but I still think its a bit boxy.  Ships don't
have to be *enormous* either - devote a little bit more to form and function
working in harmony.  Pack it a little tighter.  Corridors don't have to be 4
wide, military ships have narrow halls, figs can squeeze through 3-wide
corridors.

I like how you use more colors like red and blue which are common but seldom
used in space.  If you have a lot of plates, use them.  Star Wars wings of all
shapes along with the space shuttle wings work for sculpting surfaces.  On
Brandon's and my destroyer, I used a few of those prefab space shuttle wings
stepped at different stud intervals to create a very subtle difference in the
bottom hull relief.  Combine that with the 6x6 corner cutout wings for a cool
effect.  I like sculpted bottoms on ships versus flat - gives it more character.

My 2 credits...

     I like Tim's suttle detail better, but your's seems more practicle, as
though the MK4 was designed in the middle of a war and great pains were
taken to save money and resources.

Good point.  Our Destroyer was designed for battle in the middle of peacetime
(Earth Liberation premise to be written into the history) - no real money saving
efforts either.  Its also small-end - its kinda what came out, though we could
probably have done 30% larger.  Hopefully this summer we'll have more bricks to
dump into a larger destroyer, but according to Zacktron vessel classifications
(http://www.zacktron.com/alliance/mil/space/) we won't be able to physically
build much more than Destroyers, Frigates, Gunboats, and on down.  The rest of
the designs may be pushed back to photoshopped diagram schematics.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com