 Space / 6233
Re: new Mk4 pics are up on brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 12:17:20 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney writes:
"Kirby Warden" <inourimage@msn.com> wrote in message
news:G7Ju6o.GHF@lugnet.com...

     Looking much better.  Oh, and look, a color scheme!:^)

Yes, looking better.

     Although I'm not certain what everything is that I saw in the pics, I
like the clear pieces in the engineering space (did you take the fiber optic
idea from Mark's Mithrandir?), for me, sci-fi engineering spaces have to
have clear pieces, it's like...eye candy or something.

Yep.  I got serious on the capital streak when I saw the Mithrander.  I
thought:  "Gee, that would be cool to build!"  Since then I had been
searching for the fiberoptic parts to do the job.  The transblue /brey 4x4
cylinders in the engineering room is the warp core - one of the pics show
one of the fiber opics lit up, with a light behind the core and one *inside*
the core (hard to tell).  The core lights up for the warp reaction.  The
grey 1/4 cilinders (big) at the fore of the engineering room are the
sluch/fuel tanks, and the fiber optics/trans orange SW guns are the plasma
conduits.  In the aft section of the engineering room you can see the
dylithium crystal containment (the blue container to the side is the spare
crystal storage), and then you have the two (primary and secondary) fusion
reactors directly behind on the main floor, with the two main propulsion
drives directly behind.  The secondary propulsion drives are on the second
level.  You also see several removal control modules (yellow) up on the
second level in the aft section, and on the first level on either side of
the warp core.  In one pic a white dude has removed one for servicing.
There are also two engineering stations up on the gantry to the fore of the
warp core.

Yup, they have to :-)  I've both seen and experimented with many different
engineering/engine room designs - it can be done so many ways, but there are
always some common themes.

     Is that the galley under the bridge?  Nice captain's chair.

The decks work as follows:
Deck 1 (top) = bridge/science stations
Deck 2 = weapons and torpedo control, crew living wuarters, communial
showers and toilets (in blue), and over the service bays we have various sub
system controls surrounding the weapons locker and main storage bay to the
starboard side, and the isolated security room/brig to the port side.  I
always try to include a brig!  :^)

I like the chair too.  Brandon and I have used the same captain's chair config
for a long time though - a space 2x3 bracket chair and a 2x4 double inverse
slope 'airplane bottom' underneath.  Its hard to break tradition :D

I have been using the technic chair for every ship so far!

     From the first pics that I saw, I truely thought that the geen brick
plates were actually the top of your MK4 (there were no interior pics for
reference at the time) I'm happy to have been wrong.
     Great work.  Job well done.

Well, I have tons of regular brick, and although I do have a lot of
specialized brick like you describe, those are used a lot in other models.
I have tons of models right now.  I really wanted to do a good capital that
followed the lines of a sea-faring miltary ship - from my perspective, space
ships do not have to be sleek.  Boxy designs are very permissable in space
since earth-bound rules do not apply.  I saw a similar design (made out of
paper) on LEGO 3K that really caught my eye - it has similar lines to my mk4.

Its impressive on size matters, but I still think its a bit boxy.  Ships don't
have to be *enormous* either - devote a little bit more to form and function
working in harmony.  Pack it a little tighter.  Corridors don't have to be 4
wide, military ships have narrow halls, figs can squeeze through 3-wide
corridors.

Yeah, I would have prefered to go tighter on the tower two decks to get more
in the rooms.  Right now the second, third and fourth decks have 6 wide
corridors, - this was due to splitting my ship down the middle.

I like how you use more colors like red and blue which are common but seldom
used in space.  If you have a lot of plates, use them.  Star Wars wings of all
shapes along with the space shuttle wings work for sculpting surfaces.  On
Brandon's and my destroyer, I used a few of those prefab space shuttle wings
stepped at different stud intervals to create a very subtle difference in the
bottom hull relief.  Combine that with the 6x6 corner cutout wings for a cool
effect.  I like sculpted bottoms on ships versus flat - gives it more character.

I use flat baseplates on the bottom.  That's why you don't see anything, and
it lends to the boxyness.  I have an extreme lack of plates for the size of
the ship.  What comes across as boxyness is really a lot of compromise in
using a limited range of pieces.  I found that I did not have everything I
wanted, but I did not let that stop me.  After all, this is for fun, right?  :^D

My 2 credits...

Well, thanks!  :^)

     I like Tim's suttle detail better, but your's seems more practicle, as
though the MK4 was designed in the middle of a war and great pains were
taken to save money and resources.

Yes, as a matter of fact.  In Scott Sanburn's timeline, humanity has been
reduced to a few colonies.  There isn't a lot of frills - it's a functional
ship with all the sub systems in place.  It does the job, gets in, gets out,
and packs quite a wallop while it's at it.  I know that it's hard to make
big look good, but big was necessary based on having bays that would
accomodate my ships, having an enigneering room that was fully equipped for
the size of the ship, and having enough bunks for 41 crew, hot bunked.  (36
crew hot bunked, 4 officers in the officer's quarters next to the med lab,
and 1 captian's quarters with en suite bath next to the galley/mess hall.)

~Trev