 Space / 5169
Re: Libertador - Light Penetration Fighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 18:39:38 GMT

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message
Hmm...now that I think of it, most fighters are
on the large side.  I was thinking that it was 'light'
because its small compared to those.  I still
plan on designing larger fighters up to gunboats
for heavier assaults.  As size of a fighter increases,
so does firepower, but does manuverability
decrease?  I would assume so because of mass and
inertia.  How do fighter designers rationalize/compensate
for the apparent loss in manuverability?

Hey, great design, Tim. Are you sure it's got a large enough
weapons-to-surface-area ratio? :) I wouldn't exactly call that a light
fighter - more of a medium fighter.

As far as the whole size vs. maneuverability issue is concerned, I
generally use two mechanisms. The mostly objective one is that if a
smaller fighter with the same size/number of engines as a larger
fighter, the smaller will be more maneuverable. A more subjective
measure that I use it rather simple: pick it up and swoosh it around a
little bit. If it just doesn't feel right making the thing do a barrel
roll, it probably shouldn't be called a fighter. (Just imagine a Star
Destroyer or the Enterprise doing a barrel roll and you'll see where I'm
coming from here.)

--
later...    Jer
irvinej@accuvera.com