 Space / 5121
Re: Libertador - Light Penetration Fighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 18:12:25 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney writes:
"Mike Petrucelli" <lordinsanity@usa.net> wrote in message

Cool.  Most of the fighters I see are huge mostrosities (cool looking but • way
to big compared to Galactic Confederation fighters.)  That is the perfect • size
to go head to head with my fighters. Oh yeah did I mention, Cool.

Thanks!

Hmm...now that I think of it, most fighters are on the large side.  I was
thinking that it was 'light' because its small compared to those.  I still
plan on designing larger fighters up to gunboats for heavier assaults.  As
size of a fighter increases, so does firepower, but does manuverability
decrease?  I would assume so because of mass and inertia.  How do fighter
designers rationalize/compensate for the apparent loss in manuverability?

Well in my Legoverse if fighters get much bigger than you or I built them, they
are easy pickings for capital ships.  Manuverability is irrelevant past a
certain size.  (the whole broad side of a barn deal.)  On the other hand I
consider a System X-wing to be long enough for a Galactic Confederation space
grade corvette.  A space grade cruiser is usally between 50 and 100 meters.
Star grade ships are comparable to Star Wars capital ships.  Of course the 3000
kilometer Galaxy grade cruisers are just plain silly.

Captain Killmoore: "Imperials destroy planets with that spherical Galaxy
Corvette?  I knew they were barbarians but how low can a race get. Well I
doubt they saw this comming. One shot should do it. Fire!"
<cue a 10 kilometer ball of red Xlaxer fire>
Commander Baloney: "Scratch one Death Star sir."
Captain Killmoore: "Mwahhahahahahaha"

I have some teeny fighters too on Zacktron, the TSF-1 Revoker and the I-10
Eaglet.  They're pretty durn small compared to even this one, and especially
some of the others I've seen come out of here.

Excellent. Another person who uses micro technology to pack a heck of a lot
into a small ship.  Of course I also use that concept to make large ships
insanely overpowered.

-Lord Insanity