 Space / 5164
Re: Libertador - Light Penetration Fighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 17:22:21 GMT

In lugnet.space, John VanZwieten writes:

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message
"Mike Petrucelli" <lordinsanity@usa.net> wrote in message

Cool.  Most of the fighters I see are huge mostrosities (cool looking • but
way
to big compared to Galactic Confederation fighters.)  That is the • perfect
size
to go head to head with my fighters. Oh yeah did I mention, Cool.

Thanks!

Hmm...now that I think of it, most fighters are on the large side.  I • was
thinking that it was 'light' because its small compared to those.  I • still
plan on designing larger fighters up to gunboats for heavier assaults. • As
size of a fighter increases, so does firepower, but does manuverability
decrease?  I would assume so because of mass and inertia.  How do • fighter
designers rationalize/compensate for the apparent loss in • manuverability?

More powerful engines, better shielding, thicker armor.

Isn't that basicly irrelivent if the capital ship can use its heavy weapons on
such a large target?

Of course it could be argued that smaller mass means more efficent engines and
faster more manuverable fighters.  This of course would be more valuble than
getting killed by the capital ship despite better shielding and thicker armor.
Now I am also assuming our base comparison is an X-wing or compareable fighter.

Now my basic stock fighter
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/sputnik/86/fang.html
versus an X-wing would go like this.  Fang comes to a dead stop.  X-wing fires
at Fang while pilot laughs for an hour at the pretty colors bouncing off his
ship.  Fang pilot gets bored and activates his Xlaxer node defence system. A
beam fires from the node and the X-wing is incinerated instantly.  The pilot
makes a mental note that he didn't even need his offensive Xlaxer cannons.
Now picture captial ship defences verses a huge fighter.

-Lord Insanity (who still thinks Star Wars fighters are rediculously over sized
antique junk.)