 Space / 4397
Re: Galactic Shipyard updates and change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 23:07:36 GMT

Jon Palmer <jpalmer@oklahoma.net> wrote in message
The Captains Quarter now has 6 captains. Check em out!

<snip>
    Any comments or ideas on other sections(and there will be others) are
welcome.
    The first category I'm going to add as a sort of test will be the Mini
ships category.
    The downside to this is that I'm going to remove the ground vehicles • and
space stations sections. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea please tell • me.
I'd really like to just concentrate on ships now.
    I also updated the submission page.

First off, your site has become extremely useful.  It now serves as a great
portal/gathering point to all the various space sites with featured
creations.  Well done.

I think removing space stations and ground vehicles, at least in the long
haul, is a mistake.  If other people are like me, your site is fast becoming
a nav portal to all the various space sites (and a quick way to get up to
speed on space creations out there).  Since space encompasses ground
vehicles, bases, mecha, and other things, it would be nice to have all of
those featured through the same portal.  In the short haul, I think
concentrating on one aspect of space (spacecraft proper) is fine.  Perfect
one thing then extrapolate.

You currently have your menu bar in random order (as far as I can tell).
Some sort of logical structure, based on ship size, hierarchical
subcatagorization, or alphabetical order would work better.  I am unsure how
far you plan on going with your current trend toward differentiation and
expansion so I have no absolute suggestion for this.

An obvious extension to the Captains Quarter would be similar pages for ace
fighter pilots (The Ready Room or whatever) and legendary officers of all
kinds.  Also, somewhere between capital ships and heavy fighters/bombers are
corvettes/system defense boats/patrol ships.  A lot of the big ships
featured on your site actually strike me as falling into this
category--combat spacecraft with a crew of about 50 minifigs or less.  (Of
course, this would make capital ships almost non-existent, so perhaps some
other criteria would work.  Just a thought.)

Keep up the good work.

  -Doug

^V^^V^
I am:  Damraska@Excite.com