 Space / 37341
Re: Idea Crunching
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:58:40 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   Okay, Paul Baulch has a well documented distaste of the use of wheels as engines. And at first I thought he was crazy, but then, the more I hear his words in my head, the more I think he’s right. They are somewhat un-LEGO-y, not to mention easy and over-used.

So I was hoping to mine the forum for some ideas on how to achieve cool engines without resorting to space wheels, specifically in relation to building large ships and shuttles (not dinky fighters ;) ).

I use wheels quite often for engines, but usually mix them in with other cylinder-like pieces. I’m also quite proud of some of my housings around the engines, particularly with boat hulls, as in here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=187552 and here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=730986

The second has another unusual thrust array. I’ve also tried using technic gears a few times, but not gotten a great feel for them yet. Now I’ll run off and pretend this post covers for not having built anything spacy for a while...

Kenn