 Space / 37271
Re: Idea Crunching
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:45:36 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   Okay, Paul Baulch has a well documented distaste of the use of wheels as engines. And at first I thought he was crazy, but then, the more I hear his words in my head, the more I think he’s right. They are somewhat un-LEGO-y, not to mention easy and over-used.

So I was hoping to mine the forum for some ideas on how to achieve cool engines without resorting to space wheels, specifically in relation to building large ships and shuttles (not dinky fighters ;) ).

I had one good idea with the Kushinata, but the result didn’t look 100% engine to me, so I added the transorange bit and then it ended up looking more like a giant Bot head.

So, anyone have any cool ideas and/or thoughts on this dilema?

-Lenny

Interesting topic. I’ve always felt the same about wheels as engines. I’ve only seen them used a few times really well. Chris Giddens seems to be able to weild them decently in a PCS manner, mostly because they are often countersunk into a housing of some sort, avoiding that ‘tacked on’ look. Danny J has done some great stuff using a basic box with inset trans elements (about the only use a trans en masse I’ve ever liked). Even for the sub capital, I find that if engines are made not simply as nozzles attached to the hull, but as a believable unit where the nozzle is just the trailing edge. A great example and one of my all-time fav smaller ships is Todd Trotter’s Sighthound Recon . The engine here looks like a unit unto itself that has been integrated into the hull....

It looks like it can be pulled off the craft for maitenance, refit etc. I suppose it’s an extension of Paul’s credo that the effective greeble must serve a purpose to be convincing.

My two yellowing bricks...

-Gil