 Space / 37290
Re: Idea Crunching
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:03:48 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   Okay, Paul Baulch has a well documented distaste of the use of wheels as engines. And at first I thought he was crazy, but then, the more I hear his words in my head, the more I think he’s right. They are somewhat un-LEGO-y, not to mention easy and over-used.

I thought I only said that once. And in haste, which I sort of regretted at the time. They can look OK, I guess my main beef with them is that they’re a big cop-out on the modelling challenge side of things. I mean, many of us amass a large collection of interesting pieces and then what do we do to make an engine nozzle...? I mean, really :-)

So I was hoping to mine the forum for some ideas on how to achieve cool engines without resorting to space wheels, specifically in relation to building large ships and shuttles (not dinky fighters ;) ).

What design aesthetic did you have in mind? Is it retro-future?

I had one good idea with the Kushinata, but the result didn’t look 100% engine to me, so I added the transorange bit and then it ended up looking more like a giant Bot head.

Silly question, but did you try a conical protrusion or spike instead of a dome?

   So, anyone have any cool ideas and/or thoughts on this dilema?

Hmm, against better judgement I’ll blow my own trumpet for a moment and suggest a fe alternatives that I’ve tried myself.

You can get a lot of different looks with old-skool snot-and-slopes:

This is obviously my usual method.

Then there’s a design I came up with to use up all of those annoying tapered 4x8 plates:

Anything built studs-out on octagonal symmetry usually works out looking pretty good and provides ample stud area for greebling any way you want.

Or, my personal fave, the retro-futuristic spike nozzle:

Still looks good even with normal cones instead of the drill - actually, it reminds me of where you were going with the Kushinata engine.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,