 Space / 37273
Re: Idea Crunching
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 22:36:16 GMT

At 06:40 AM 7/12/2004, you wrote:
Okay,
Paul Baulch has a well documented distaste of the use of wheels as
engines.  And
at first I thought he was crazy, but then, the more I hear his words in my
head,
the more I think he's right.  They are somewhat un-LEGO-y, not to mention easy
and over-used.

I personally have used Lego wheels (LoM) as a fighter engine once, and in
that case I thought the Wheels worked excellently as an engine.  Having
said that though I agree with Paul and now you Lenny that they are over used.

So I was hoping to mine the forum for some ideas on how to achieve cool
engines
without resorting to space wheels, specifically in relation to building large
ships and shuttles (not dinky fighters ;) ).\

Pods.  Gil's design for that dinky one person shuttle is an engine design I
tell you, I'm using a slightly smaller design on large ship, but if you
recess it or have it externally mounted the pod design (essentially
elements jammed between two radar dishes) makes for an interesting and
creative engine design.

It was actually Paul who inspired this idea, I got it from a fighter he built
http://www.lugnet.com/~164/sci-fi/gyrofighter/
where he used the two 8x8 dishes to hold his gyroscopic array.  I figured
that you could use a similar design to encompass a multi vectored engine
thrust unit (MVETU)  I like this new word.....

Anyway Lenny, I hope this gives you some ideas, well everyone out there, I
hope it gives you some ideas....

Leg Godt

Travis Matheson