 Space / 36337
Re: Explorer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 00:07:26 GMT

Explorer is a long range science and research vessel with a crew of 8.
Features
include a shuttle/cargo bay, 2 storage rooms, crew quarters and bathrooms, 4
escape pods, a science/med lab, crew lounge/dining room, 2 airlock
entries, and
a spacious bridge. The ship is armed with a dual laser cannon for blasting
space
debris in it's path.

Firstly Let me say that I quite enjoy looking at your Ships Dan, I was
blown away by the Dragonstar when you posted it.  The Explorer, and it does
really have a scientific feel to it too, Is a great ship, and making a ship
look as if it can do what we say it can do is one of the more challenging
aspects of space building

I love interior details you have provided here.  The shelving is brilliant,
and using those solar panels from the ISS as beds is pretty
clever.  However I have some critiques

Firstly, the studs.  Now, please don't think that I'm opposed to studs, not
at all.  It's just that the mass of studs showing make it appear that this
MOC is in fact a group of rooms (and excellent rooms to be sure) covered up
with plates.  I know that there is some truth in the above statement but
that really REALLY takes away from this MOC.  I really liked the basic
shape, and the helicopter windows in the bridge, but the studs/plate thing
really pulls great deal of the aesthetic away from this MOC.  Maybe if
there were some sections of bricks/slopes to smooth out some areas, or even
some more deliberately exposed areas to offset the "Cover-up" effect of the
plates, as if the ship was only covered up to the bare minimum.

Secondly, and this is more a personal preference thing for me, I'm not a
fan of how, and where, you have placed the entrance to the landing Dock.  I
love the Dock itself, the interior design is phenomenally good.  but the
fact that the Dock has a simple hinge open door disappoints a little.  I am
referring to this picture
The fact that the hatch covers the bottom engine is good, I always
considered Engine Wash to be an important issue, but the side engines are
not blocked off in such a manner, so it does kind of make me thing that
this Hatch was one of the last sections to be built, when inspiration may
have been running a little low.  I know how difficult it can be to maintain
a good idea & inspiration during the building of a MOC that consumes so
much time.  Sometimes you just want to be done with it and get it out of
the way. I guess I'm saying that the Dock Hatch really highlights this
struggle, and it does take a little away from some of the more well planed
features.  I also wanted to say that I'm not sure that you should use the
same colour for your force field as you do for your engines (I'm presuming
that the line of 1x2 grill tiles is a force filed generator or
something.  If this is not the case, kindly disregard this comment ;-)

That said though, there are far more excellent features (that's excellent
as opposed to just good features) to outweigh these two problems, but I
want to let you know what I think instead of just posting "Hey, cool ship,
That's so awesome, wow, you da Man Dan!" type comments that are gratifying,
certainly, but offer no substance and/or assistance for overcoming any
problems in future MOCs

Keep up the good work, and I'll keep admiring it

Leg Godt

Travis Matheson