 Space / 3383
Re: Moonbase! Need Help!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 04:41:16 GMT

In lugnet.space, George Haberberger writes:

I think a Mars base would be mostly underground too, as you wouldn't get much
protection from radiation with Mars' thin atmosphere.

My knowledge is limited,  but I think it comes down to cost/benefit:  digging
is an expensive process.  On the Moon,  the benefits of minimizing the
temperature swings are huge,  and the costs of energy should be a lot lower
(either boosting up a reactor,  or using solar),  so the colonists are more
likely to dig.

On Mars,  the benefits would be smaller,  and the cost a lot higher.  So my
guess is that they'll start out mostly aboveground,  and only dig when the
cost of energy and equipment comes down.  That would make your choice in the
"surface/underground issue" dependent on where you put your model in the
history of the colony.

Ran