 Space / 3288
Re: Moonbase! Need Help!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:38:42 GMT

"Kama Uzinama" <kamauzinama@aol.com> wrote in message
Hello!
     I have recently decided for next years 4-H fair project (Pictures of • the
Villiage People coming soon) to build a 30" x 90" moonbase.

Great!  I'll try to offer my suggestions as inspired by your description of
the project.

Now, the hard part
is 1) getting the lego pieces. I need truckloads of white and grey pieces,
maybe 1 less truckload of slopes (45 degree inverted and normal), and to • top
all that off. A LOT of plates that are white. I plan on making it at least • two
stories tall, to compensate for a hanger, and  have numerous computers.

Sounds like you have a good plan.  As I told you over an instant message,
I'd strongly suggest having a central node, and modules spinning off of that
with different purposes.  Is this a military installation?  Government?
Private enterprise?  All different factors - each would have different
facilities.  Check out some books on it - I did a term paper on Lunar
Colonization and learned a lot.  Unfortunately I only have a print copy
left, I deleted the file a while back.  I recommend Ben Bova's _Welcome to
Moonbase_ highly.

don't know yet weather i will build part way into the 'moonscape' to make • it
look like a larger base is underground, or build it independent.

From what I've read and the proposals I've seen for such, it looks like most
of the construction will be done above ground (dug in slightly) and then
piled over the exterior with lunar soil.  They do this to protect from the
sun's radiation - there's no atmosphere on the moon to protect from this.
Lunar concrete is used (concrete mixed by using lunar soil) to save on cost
of transporting materials from Earth.

One thing you might want to include would be a magnetic rail cargo launcher.
Its like a long track that elevates slightly near the end, hurling a cargo
package into space.  This package should have its own propulsion.  It meets
up with a station at one of the lagrangian points [1] for transfer back to
earth, etc.  Believe it or not, its 26 times cheaper to launch from the moon
than it is from earth!

Check out these sites:

http://www.freeluna.com/moonhab.htm
http://www.asi.org/adb/06/09/03/02/106/lunar-studies-part1.html

I plan on
using some techinc motar system to open and close the door, by the press • of a
judges button. I still dont know if i will use steps ofr elevators for • between
level transportation.

Use steps, unless you need to move heavy cargo (you could move heavy cargo
by using manpower though).  But remember, gravity is 1/6 that of earth.  Be
sure to include an excercise room to keep up the strength of the crew - when
returning to earth after long periods of time in space, people become
puddles....

For the exterior, (which is very vague)I dont know what
i will use for the outside of the base. Maybe have Lines coming down like • in
the RTOJ hangers on the DS2. I will have a small infiltration force of the
samuri armor and explorion helmets encroaching on the base. And the base • will
be on 4 15"x15" plates with paper mache or something 30"x30" on the sides.
But, I would like help on the basic design, buying pieces, and maybe, • interior
design. Like Large consoles displaying some of Eric Kingsly's B-wings for
example.

Well, it appears you have a military installation.  Exterior should be
pretty well armored with obvious lookout points and bunkers - shield your
communcation devices.  Perhaps obstacles to keep people from approaching by
ground......not that it wouldn't be hard to have a tank that has jump jets
to clear obstacles or anything.

Just throwing out food for thought.

[1] http://www.azstarnet.com/public/nonprofit/tucl5/l5def.htm
--