 Space / 32417
Re: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:32:59 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jason Allemann wrote:
In lugnet.space, James Wilson wrote:
In lugnet.announce.moc, Jason Allemann wrote:
Introducing the ... Discovery I ...

OK, now that I think about it, I don't think the ship in {2001} carried the
Roman numeral I.  I may be mistaken, but hey, it's the only flaw I can find
to pick at...   Like I said before, this thing is GREAT (ok, I didn't say
that before).

James Wilson¬Dallas, TX

Yeah, to be honest I'm not really sure why I added the {I}. Various
references call it the {Discovery}, {Discovery One} or {Discovery I}.
Throughout the novel 2001 it's simply referred to as the {Discovery} and the
second ship is referred to as the {Discovery II}.  So, I agree.  I'll make
the change shortly.

Just adding another Me Too.

This was so stunning that I spent the last couple of days thinking about it to
the point I dug out the movie and watched it again. I thought I'd point out that
they do, in fact, refer to it as Discovery I at the very least in the TV
interview that they watch near the beginning of the segment (I think they do it
again, but I'm not 100% certain). That would be in keeping with spaceflight of
the day where every craft had a name and number.

So you're not wrong (even though I see you've already renamed it).

Fantastic work!

Now build the Leonov... ;)

-Evil Wayne