 Space / 32389
Re: Photos (Re: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.publish.photography, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 01:55:18 GMT

In lugnet.space, Kevin Dixon wrote:
   Very nice Jason. Between that and Junkbot I can see you’ve been using your time very well :)

I have one question. How are you taking such high quality photographs - especially the ones with the all white backgrounds? The photographs are brilliantly clear.

Do you actually take the photo against a pure white background, or is there some photoshop editing involved? If there is photoshop editing, how are the shadows falling in the correct place? The photo’s almost look like very high quality renderings.

I need to know the secret for my own photographs! :)

Great models though, and thanks for any info.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin!

Here are some details on what I usually do...

Setup: Here’s a picture of my usual photography setup. I used to use a long piece of heavy paper from a (very) large printer but I find the bed sheet is much easier to work with. Due to the Discovery’s size I had to rearrange things a bit. I also use a black sheet when needed.

Lighting: You’ll want a good deal of ambient light - I usually use two floor lamps to nicely illuminate the ceiling. I also have three additional spot lights that I use as needed.

Camera Settings: I did a lot of experimentation to get these to my liking and obviously every camera is different. I have a Canon Powershot G2 - you have a G1 no? I believe the same settings are available.
  • Key the white balance to the backdrop.
  • Slight overexposure.
  • No flash.
  • Slight increase in sharpness.
  • Slight decrease in saturation.
Post processing: If all goes well the pictures I get off the camera will look something like this. All that needs to be done is some contrast enhancement in Photo-Paint (not sure what it’s called in Photoshop - levels or levelling maybe?), resampling and sharpening as needed.

Having said all of that there are some caveats...

When taking photos of models that are primarily white I prefer to key the white balance to the LEGO white. This unfortunately sacrifices the ability to easily get the background really white - unless you start doing some more intense and time consuming post processing.

I find some colours just don’t photograph well. I didn’t do any contrast enhancement on my pictures of the Canadian flag mosaic because the green ends up looking horrible.

Sometimes I’ll find that after taking a whole whack of pictures something has gone wrong and I’ll have to do it all over again. Forgetting to change the white balance after changing the ambient lighting conditions has happened to me more than once. I took well over 150 pictures of the Discovery of which probably only a third are any good. A lot of those were experimental mind you as it was the first time I used the black backdrop.

I hope that gives you some useful info!