 Space / 32172
Re: P-38 Entry: C--38 Cylon Lightning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:45:23 GMT

In lugnet.space, Douglas R. Clark wrote:
   Ryan,

Very cool ship. I really like the dark blue on light grey color scheme. I think that really sets off your design. The shape of the wings really evokes the cylon raider feel. I also like the look of the embedded starwars engine pieces in the wings. You really managed to create a smoothly flowing shape using the wedge & slope pieces.

Since I’m also a BG fan, I really like to see “expanded universe” creations. This looks like a really neat pre-quel-esque cylon design or a small cylon scout fighter/interceptor since the raider is more of an attack craft.

The only things I would criticize is the landing gear seemed a bit taked on and I would have made the horizontal tail planes a little smaller. Otherwise, a really great MOC. I also agree that the canopy kinda takes away from the cylon look. Unfortunately, there is not a good lego canopy that approximates the “stepped-louvered” look of a cylon raider. The only thing that I can think of is to try to build a canopy using black plates & tiles, but it would endup being opaque.

Great idea, great MOC,

drc

Douglas, thanks a bunch for your comments.

It’s funny, this ship is. I’ve never seen an episode of Battlestar Galactica in my life. All I had to go on was the Lego works I could find on Brickshelf. :)

The landing gear was one of the last bits I worked on, so I totally understand how they look added-on. I tried to avoid that, but I’m not kicking myself because you pointed it out. I will try harder next time, though.

I agree about the cockpit. There just isn’t a perfect solution. But with the suggestions you and others have made, perhaps an upgrade in the future might be a little more Cylon-esque.

Again, thanks! :D

--Ryan W.