 Space / 32109
Re: P-38 Entry: C--38 Cylon Lightning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:08:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Ryan Wood wrote:
   First off, I hope all you .spacers out there enjoyed your weekends, and I wish you have a productive week.

This has been a busy weekend for me. On Friday afternoon I kicked myself out of my post-PDX funk and set myself a goal: build at least two entries for the P-38 contest.

Here’s the first product of a weekend of work, what I envision a Cylon P-38 Lightning would look like:

Full gallery

What started off as a completely original moc soon became much more. As I was showing off the early work to some of the big kahunas, Adrian Drake pointed out that it looked sort of like a Cylon Raider from Battlestar Galactica. Well, I was inspired by that remark, and after a couple more tests with the shape of the ship, I zipped quickly through construction until I completed the model early Sunday morning (2 a.m... I swore I would not sleep until I finished it!)

It was originally grey w/ dark grey highlights, but during construction the ship really cried out for some color, and after deciding against the original colors and stripes of the P-38 I went with dark blue, out of personal taste.

Please let me know what you think! I’m interested in any and all comments/criticism about the ship! I learned a lot of things about building while at PDX, and put a couple techniques to use here (g-snot made most of it possible.)

Obviously good advice combined with da skillz to make this come together so well. I could see the danger of this being the split tail on the back looking ‘tacked on’, but with blending both the slopes and wing elements together, you’ve created excelllent flow into the rear section.

Using the cylinders in the wings looks great as well....give the surface area some nice landscaping. The cannons are really well done as well.

Great stuff man....simply titillating.

‘*ahem*’

-G