 Space / 31620
Re: Moonbase at Brickfest... how was it planned?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 00:51:35 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Steven McDonough wrote:
   At our next meeting I had people bring any modules they had done for a trial fit together. Only some of the members could make it but it helped finalize the layout design.

That’s a really cool idea if it’s feasible to do something like that. I don’t think MichLUG has that luxury, since the bulk of our Moonbase capacity is split between Indiana and Canada. Our solution is simply making sure that we all confirm the corridor arrangement of our modules for the person designing the layout plan, but it doesn’t help so much with pre-planning any Monorail or Space Train additions.

Yeah it did not turn out as useful as I hoped because many people either were not there or they didn’t have their module done. It did however whip up more interest in the club members that were not into space. It also let the people who didn’t have their modules done really see what was needed of them. I had a hard time getting number of corridors from people. Mostly I think, because they didn’t have their module done.

I think it would be cool if IndyLUG and MichLUG could do a layout together sometime. We pretty much used all of the club members grey baseplates this time.

   My only other suggestion is to make some “hanging corridors” like this.

We inadvertantly ended up with something like that at the Novi Toy & Hobby Expo. Rick put together a last-minute 4-way to fill in part of the center, and the support beam was only 8-high (miscommunication about which standard we were using). It was a pretty lightweight 4-way, so he just popped the support beam off and suspended it from all four connecting modules. It didn’t actually end up being necessary for the Monorail track layout, but it looked really cool just hanging there. I think the best shot I got of it was this one:

I really like the hanging corridor idea. I think you can expand the base really fast with out tons of bricks. And it gives lots of ground space. Hopefully it will catch on for other moonbases.

-Steve McDonough