 Space / 31630
Re: Moonbase at Brickfest... how was it planned?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 18:33:17 GMT

In lugnet.space, Steven McDonough wrote:
   Yeah it did not turn out as useful as I hoped because many people either were not there or they didn’t have their module done. It did however whip up more interest in the club members that were not into space. It also let the people who didn’t have their modules done really see what was needed of them. I had a hard time getting number of corridors from people. Mostly I think, because they didn’t have their module done.

Yeah, I can see how that could be a problem. Do you make updated layout plans available to club members on a regular basis? That might help people who can’t show up for a dry assembly meeting see what needs to be filled in a bit more.

   I think it would be cool if IndyLUG and MichLUG could do a layout together sometime. We pretty much used all of the club members grey baseplates this time.

Bigger is better. I think the easiest way to pull something like that together would be to get some sort of annual mid-west convention going (probably either Chicago, Detroit, or Indianapolis), but not in December like the Cantigny show.

   I really like the hanging corridor idea. I think you can expand the base really fast with out tons of bricks.

I think the value of a hanging corridor is less being able to make a bigger display as it is being able to connect sections that otherwise wouldn’t be connectable, particularly when you have lots of 1-connection modules to squeeze in.

   And it gives lots of ground space. Hopefully it will catch on for other moonbases.

I’d forgotten about this, but Trevor put together a pair of quicky straight corridors for the October Motor-City Comic-Con last year. You can see one of them clearly in the full-size version of this shot, right above the moving Monorail train:

I’m pretty sure they were identical, since he built them on-site to fill gaps in the layout. I know the one shown in the picture was necessary just to allow the Monorail train to exit the station module because none of the other modules had ground-level clearance. I don’t remember for sure if the step-up in the center was necessary for clearance on the one shown, but the other one didn’t have track running underneath it, so it might just have been done for decorative purposes.