 Space / 31594
Re: Moonbase at Brickfest... how was it planned?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 01:36:06 GMT

In lugnet.space, Huw Millington wrote:
I've seen the pictures... it was very impressive! How was it planned? Did
the participants agree a track plan before the show, was it thrown together
on the day (unlikely, I should think), or was a connection standard
specified?

I am hoping to do a moonbase with monorail setup at the Brickish Association
AGM in April and any hints would be much appreciated.

Huw

Well sadly I didn't get to go to Brickfest, but I was in charge of planning the
moonbase IndyLUG just did this weekend. I thought I would go over what I did to
plan it out and what I would recomend you to do. We planned and built almost
everything from January. Here are pictures of our layout.

The first thing I did was to gauge the interest of my fellow members. I asked
how many people were wanting to make a module. I also asked them to tell me how
many lg grey, crater plates, classic landing pads, and other odd sized grey
baseplates we had. Because our club's tables are built to fit 4 X 8 (32X32)
baseplates, I knew we would have to have road or crater plates to not have our
table top show through. I decided that we could hopefully do four of our
tables.(We actually did five) I used track designer to layout a baseplate
pattern where the tables were covered.

I then did a simple train track loop using the moonbase standard of offsetting
the track 4 studs from the edge of the baseplate. Having the train really took
alot of real estate away for having large moonbase modules. Where ever the track
runs, it basically cuts down the size of the module to 32X48. These spots are
good though for members who want to make a module but don't ave tons of pieces.

I then used photoshop to add squares of color representing the modules and the
number of corridors the module had(I have since made custom track designer
pieces for moonbase). For modules I didn't know the number of corridors for, I
just put a square and assumed they would only have one. (That proved pretty true
as well) I would ask for at least two connections from everybody. I then
arranged the modules so they would all be connected to something. Then I posted
my layout for discussion and ideas to the rest of my club. This also let me know
to beg for someone to make modules with the number of corridors I needed for
sure.

At our next meeting I had people bring any modules they had done for a trial fit
together. Only some of the members could make it but it helped finalize the
layout design.

Because, I didn't know the heights and clearences of many of the modules I
decided to design the monorail at the show. I wasn't two familiar with the track
as I don't have any. Luckily though one of our members has over 100 pieces of
track so I figured I could make any design I wanted. It took a while at the show
to get the monorail set up but if you had someone more familiar setting it up it
would go much faster.

My only other suggestion is to make some "hanging corridors" like this.

These corridors are 48 studs long and conform to the moonbase standards, except
for supports. They just pin in to connect seperate modules. They work great to
go over railroad track or road and to have a clear space for monorail to run
over. The one in the picture is modular where the middle section can come out
and a threeway connection could be added if needed. We had two of them and they
worked great to have room for all the people who wanted a module area after we
designed the layout.

If you have any questions let me know. I hope this helps you some.

-Steve