 Space / 31504
  Moonbase at Brickfest... how was it planned?

I've seen the pictures... it was very impressive! How was it planned? Did the participants agree a track plan before the show, was it thrown together on the day (unlikely, I should think), or was a connection standard specified? I am hoping to do a (...) (20 years ago, 25-Feb-04, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Moonbase at Brickfest... how was it planned?

(...) Huw, people announced how many moonbases the intended on bringing, but many people just showed up with some on their own. Jon and Gary did the two big bases (the ones with monorail, etc) - and brought extra monorail, rr tracks, and racer lanes (...) (20 years ago, 25-Feb-04, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Moonbase at Brickfest... how was it planned?

(...) people (...) (the (...) racer (...) the best (...) Thanks for the lowdown... We have done moonbases before but not with monorail. I was thinking of planning a grid, say 5 x 10 48x48 baseplates, working out a monorail layout around it, then (...) (20 years ago, 25-Feb-04, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Moonbase at Brickfest... how was it planned?

(...) Monorail is difficult to work with, even with the official Monorail-compatibility guidelines, and Space Train can be even more restricted by the lack of ramp-rails (haven't worked with Racers track, so I can't comment on that). The biggest (...) (20 years ago, 26-Feb-04, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Moonbase at Brickfest... how was it planned?

(...) Unless you're prepared to fill in gaps with some scratch-built corridors, I'm no sure how feasible this will be. The idea of designing the module layout around the Monorail layout is interesting, but I suspect you'll find that you need to be (...) (20 years ago, 26-Feb-04, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Moonbase at Brickfest... how was it planned?

(...) I think it would make a lot more sense to have 3 or 4 standards. And then you can shuffle the bases about any way you like and still have everything work together. You could run your track any way you want within your base as long as it comes (...) (20 years ago, 26-Feb-04, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Moonbase at Brickfest... how was it planned?

(...) From what I remember, the two huge modules had monorail, train and racer track built in and the rest of the track was built up over the days after most of the moonbase modules had been setup. Some stantions were literally stuck on top of (...) (20 years ago, 26-Feb-04, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Moonbase at Brickfest... how was it planned?

(...) Thanks to Lenny and others who have answered some questions on this. Within the next week I plan on updating all the broken images on the moonbase site and adding some of the new standards we've put together. I'll also make a quick recap post (...) (20 years ago, 27-Feb-04, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Moonbase at Brickfest... how was it planned?

(...) Yes, thanks to you all. you have given me some ideas and highlighted some of the problems we are doubtless going to face. There will always be a trade-off between flexibility and stadardisation; I guess the trick is finding the right balance. (...) (20 years ago, 28-Feb-04, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Moonbase at Brickfest... how was it planned?

(...) Well sadly I didn't get to go to Brickfest, but I was in charge of planning the moonbase IndyLUG just did this weekend. I thought I would go over what I did to plan it out and what I would recomend you to do. We planned and built almost (...) (20 years ago, 3-Mar-04, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Moonbase at Brickfest... how was it planned?

(...) That's a really cool idea if it's feasible to do something like that. I don't think MichLUG has that luxury, since the bulk of our Moonbase capacity is split between Indiana and Canada. Our solution is simply making sure that we all confirm (...) (20 years ago, 3-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Moonbase at Brickfest... how was it planned?

(...) Yeah it did not turn out as useful as I hoped because many people either were not there or they didn't have their module done. It did however whip up more interest in the club members that were not into space. It also let the people who didn't (...) (20 years ago, 4-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Moonbase at Brickfest... how was it planned?

(...) Yeah, I can see how that could be a problem. Do you make updated layout plans available to club members on a regular basis? That might help people who can't show up for a dry assembly meeting see what needs to be filled in a bit more. (...) (...) (20 years ago, 4-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, FTX)