 Space / 27947
Re: More Module Shapes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:22:15 GMT

And with this last, of course you can always build an 96x96 L shaped
module, and bring a standard 48x48 optional module to make it conform to
the rectangular requirement. Then, if it works in without your optional
module and looks cool, then cool! Otherwise, you occupy a 96x96
footprint. Cool!

Forgive me if I'm wrong about this - but this is exactly what Adrian did at
Brickfest03.  His Rigel 7 moonbase fit well with the aesthetics of his Tycho
Brahe (sp) Hotel, and all formed to make a super cool 96 x 96 moonbase.

However, the Rigel 7 by itself was a L-shaped 96x96 module.

I dont' see the problem with "tetris" moonbases because:

1. They are so few, the majority of moonbases will always be "small" 48x48 ones.
2. As long as connecting points are always available (at the four stud midpoint
of the 48 baseplate) to attach single moonbases.
3. Tetris moonbases can allow for a more interesting shape of the moonbase as a
whole, instead of the more grid-like collection of single modules.  For example,
Adrian's Rigel 7 had a more fluid movement between the three parts.  If there
were three or four larger, tetris modules (given that they all still connection
in the normal, correct way) would have larger areas of the moonbase with this
fluidic, or at least non square, fashion.

-lenny