 Space / 27946
Re: More Module Shapes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 17:55:39 GMT

Mike Petrucelli wrote:

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer wrote:
"Mike Petrucelli" <lordi@erols.com> wrote in message
news:HKruC9.2C1@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer wrote:

Uh... As long as the edges of the module are at least four studs from the edge
of the plate and the corridors line up what difference does the shape make? What
about a 3 plate 'L' shaped module for example?

-Mike Petrucelli

I think that opens up an entirely new can of worms.
You expand to L shapes and then all sorts of tetris modules will start to
appear.  This is what I think.

Hmmm... Actually now that I think about it your right.

I'd be inclined to let people build any shaped multiple of 48x48,
HOWEVER, if you build something larger than 48x48, and especially
something weird in shape, it may not be able to be fit into a setup.

Another way to handle it would be to require everyone who wants to bring
a large module to bring at least one 48x48 for every larger module. This
will assure enough 48x48 modules to have a decent chance of fitting
everything together.

And with this last, of course you can always build an 96x96 L shaped
module, and bring a standard 48x48 optional module to make it conform to
the rectangular requirement. Then, if it works in without your optional
module and looks cool, then cool! Otherwise, you occupy a 96x96
footprint. Cool!

As far as large modules breaking up the roadway space, I'm not sure how
much we should be concerned about that. Sure, it's nice to have the
space, but model railroaders quickly start sacrificing logical and
complete roadways for more interesting scenery, and I don't see the
moonbase as any different in that aspect. If you have a bunch of
vehicles and such to show off, make sure you bring some modules that
provide space to do so (and I haven't yet seen a moonbase setup that
didn't have room for some 48x48 grey baseplate parking lots.

I guess I'll have to allot some time for increasing the height of my two
existing modules. The Blacktron module will be easy. The Ice Planet
module will be a little harder.

Frank