 Space / 27345
Re: .Space MOC/idea repository concept for discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 00:58:52 GMT

In lugnet.space, James Wilson wrote:
   To the .Space community:
Whereas .Space is the best Lugnet group, and
Whereas some of us have much more time available sitting in front of a computer, rather than building,
I have a proposal for the .Space group. I’m sure some of you have attempted to visit older creations only to find them unavailable (try going back 10000 messages in .Space and try to open some MOCs announced back then). Whether the user left school, moved his/her creations to another folder, whatever, many great creations have become vaporware.

So, I think .Space should set up a permanent repository of permanent links to Space creations. To me, the logical place to store the pics is Brickshelf (or MOCPages ?), and the links should be “deep links.” When an item gets submitted to the yet-to-be-named link gallery, the folder structure for the MOC should be permanent, so that someone would be able to find it 4 years from now at the same place.

Am I the only one who sees the inherent flaw in this idea? If the links aren’t permanently tied to the images through LUGNET, what makes you think they’ll be any better on another website? The only way to guarantee that they are permanently available is to store them all in a secure location, and that would necessarily violate the copyrights of every participant by not allowing them to remove them at a later date.