 Space / 27344
Re: .Space MOC/idea repository concept for discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 01:10:29 GMT

On 17.26 8/21/2003 +0000, James Wilson wrote

To the .Space community:¬
Whereas .Space is the best Lugnet group, and¬
Whereas some of us have much more time available sitting in front of a
computer,
rather than building,¬ I have a proposal for the .Space group.  I’m sure
some of
you have attempted to visit older creations only to find them unavailable (try
going back 10000 messages in .Space and try to open some MOCs announced back
then).  Whether the user left school, moved his/her creations to another
folder,
whatever, many great creations have become vaporware.¬

I like that idea... I hate having to dig back for historical models.

So, I think .Space should set up a {permanent} repository of {permanent} links
to Space creations.  To me, the logical place to store the pics is Brickshelf
(or MOCPages ?), and the links should be “deep links.”  When an item gets
submitted to the yet-to-be-named link gallery, the folder structure for
the MOC
should be permanent, so that someone would be able to find it 4 years from now
at the same place.¬

Questions that come to mind immediately include:¬
1. Where should it be?  The “links” button on the .Space sidebar could
link to
the “links repository,” but where should it be?¬

Well _I_ think it should be in Jain's Guide :-) (www.wildbrick.com)...
course, I may be biased :-)

2. Who administers it?  This
depends on where the “page-o-links” is located.  But I think it should have a
single administrator rather than a free-for-all.¬

Well, that's a different story... Maybe set up a spider to scan .space
articles for links? hmmm... may need to think about that....

3. What goes in?  What I have
in mind is a hierarchical arrangement, with links not only to MOCs “in full,”
(i.e., Dan Jassim’s {Dragonstar}) but also to design elements, such as doors,
windows, command chairs, engines, air locks, hatches, even landing gear.¬

Hmmmm... Including elements is a good idea!

4.
Who decides what goes in?   This one could be a bit thornier, but it doesn’t
have to be.  I figure, if someone wants to catalog their images appropriately,
store them appropriately, and contact the administrator with the appropriate
information, then that’s good enough for me.

Well, if it has a submission feature any maybe a "rating" feature, then
anyone could submit, and the highest rated ones would percolate to the
top... That would make searching a _bit_ easier.

¬  5. Who submits what?  Can I
submit links to someone else's project?¬

Submitting someone else's work is (IMHO) bad juju (at elast without their
permission).

6. What should it be called?  I know,
not really important at this point.¬

Hmmmmm.... we could call it... how bout Jain's Guide!!! :-)

Anyway, that’s my quite-nebulous concept.  There’s probably lots of things I
haven’t though of yet.  It’s something I’m willing to work on, hopefully other
.Spacers will, as well.¬ ¬ James Wilson¬
Dallas, TX¬
Lugnet member 1783

---
wubwub
aka  stephen f roberts

wildbrick.com  -  Jain's Guide : Promoting more than just the MOC