 Space / 27333
27332  |  27334
Subject:
.Space MOC/idea repository concept for discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:26:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

To the .Space community:
Whereas .Space is the best Lugnet group, and
Whereas some of us have much more time available sitting in front of a computer, rather than building,
I have a proposal for the .Space group. I’m sure some of you have attempted to visit older creations only to find them unavailable (try going back 10000 messages in .Space and try to open some MOCs announced back then). Whether the user left school, moved his/her creations to another folder, whatever, many great creations have become vaporware.

So, I think .Space should set up a permanent repository of permanent links to Space creations. To me, the logical place to store the pics is Brickshelf (or MOCPages ?), and the links should be “deep links.” When an item gets submitted to the yet-to-be-named link gallery, the folder structure for the MOC should be permanent, so that someone would be able to find it 4 years from now at the same place.

Questions that come to mind immediately include:
1. Where should it be? The “links” button on the .Space sidebar could link to the “links repository,” but where should it be?
2. Who administers it? This depends on where the “page-o-links” is located. But I think it should have a single administrator rather than a free-for-all.
3. What goes in? What I have in mind is a hierarchical arrangement, with links not only to MOCs “in full,” (i.e., Dan Jassim’s Dragonstar) but also to design elements, such as doors, windows, command chairs, engines, air locks, hatches, even landing gear.
4. Who decides what goes in? This one could be a bit thornier, but it doesn’t have to be. I figure, if someone wants to catalog their images appropriately, store them appropriately, and contact the administrator with the appropriate information, then that’s good enough for me.
5. Who submits what? Can I submit links to someone else’s project?
6. What should it be called? I know, not really important at this point.

Anyway, that’s my quite-nebulous concept. There’s probably lots of things I haven’t though of yet. It’s something I’m willing to work on, hopefully other .Spacers will, as well.

James Wilson
Dallas, TX
Lugnet member 1783