 Space / 24661
Re: An interesting Sci-fi idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:46:51 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   Well, that’s not necessarily so. Dinosaurs lacked the ability to adapt in the same manner that mammals did. That is what makes humans so powerful, adaptability. Of course, it also limits us. the age old pull between adaptability and instinctual programming. We can learn alot, but it takes time and effort to properly learn, and if that information isn’t learned (like how to forage/cook), then we don’t survive.

I’m not so sure about that. I think humanities one true claim to being anything close to superior are our language skills.

And about infinite combinations, I’m not so sure. Yeah, I’m not a biologist or anything, but it seems to me that there can only be so many ways to match up molecules. sure the amount is huge (several billion trillion even), but it’s not infinite. (if there are any genetic biologists out there who’d like to chime in?)

I wouldn’t listen to a biologist. Biologists are dumb. Well, we’re assuming the base of any and all life is DNA, as it is on earth. That may not be the case on another planet. But, I would agree with Joe. Infinite space= infinite possibility.

   ps. i like theoretical scientific discussions!

me too!