 Space / 24828
Re: An interesting Sci-fi idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 02:16:39 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   More than that, we’re assuming the base of any and all life is molecular. As there are an infinite number of possible molecules, logically there are an infinite number of lifeforms. That also assumes all life is molecular. What about energy based lifeforms, or something we have not yet discovered?

Yes, why isn’t anyone speculating on this? Let’s explain Star Trek’s Q in these terms- you can’t. Life may not always be molecular. Scientists have constrained the definition of life because they (so far) have only needed to explain it in terms of what they see on earth. That has only involved carbon and DNA. But there has to be more. And when a new life form presents itself, science will have to re-work the definition. I am a scientist^, and in my field we constantly change definitions and theories.

   Are you sure all organic lifeforms are carbon based. That is a pretty big assumption. Sure it holds true on earth (at least as far as we have explored) but what about other planets?

I know someone already commented that organic=carbon. That is true. But nonetheless, I agree with the point you’re making. Life could form in many different unexpected ways- even ways outside our perception.

   well, you have to accept the limitations of the laws of physics. that certainly lowers the number of possibilities to a finite amount.

I disagree but whatever.

I agree with your disagreement, Mike. Even if physics limits possibilities to a finite amount, there are still an unimaginable amount of possibilities.

-Felix

^ I brought that up to help my point, not to sound like a cool guy. Thats assuming that you would think being a scientist makes me a cool guy. In which case, you’re totally correct ;^)